Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I could see I was going to get nowhere and the $200 it is going to cost me to have a certified electrician put "C" shaped conduit over the wiring is likely less that some other thing he will come up with if I complain. .
^^ This. Not worth the time effort or headache to fight it. Unfortunately FHA appraisers and loan underwriters are GOD in real estate. Is it right? Who knows but in the grand scheme of a real estate deal $200 isn't worth worrying about.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 11-19-2013, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
FHA inspectors win in the end....been there lived it...

The more you fight the more it costs you

Keep in mind I'm not fond of FHA inspectors at all!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
It sounds like crap but at only $200, I would certainly pay it and get my house sold--in the grand scheme of things it's a minor amount and not worth the risk of cancelling the sale. Is it right? No. Life isn't fair and anyone who says differently is trying to sell you something.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 94 Ski Nautique
be glad it's not a VA loan.... Just do what you need to to get the house sold. The last VA contract that my wife did, the inspector required a natural cedar fence to be "painted". I am not sure why, there are natural cedar fences all over the place here, paint just holds the moisture in so they don't breathe properly. After the seller threw some paint at the fence in the pouring rain. it was seriously hideous, but "painted" none the less. Inspector bought off, and the sale went through... good luck with your sale!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
I am a Broker and I agree, sometimes there is a time to fight and sometimes...waive the white flag. This $200 electrical issue is not right, but you tried to fight it and he won't "man up", so move forward. If it were thousands, then you dig in but here just bite the bullet.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
You must have gotten a VA appraiser who like is job. most are blind, deaf and can't read
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
It's bullchit but I've had to do some pretty hinky things to sell a house before and no matter how well you justify your position, it comes down to what the seller wants (typically the home inspector who doesn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground.
Had to caulk all the valley seams on a ProPanel roof once. Had to replace a good moen faucet with a $40 throw away because it dripped. Used that faucet in my next home. Even showed the new owners how to pull the cartridge and gave them the # of the moen store in town.
Had to fix a swamp cooler that wasn't broken. They tested it on the only humid day that summer.
On the flip side I did buy a house out from under someone because they wanted a bunch of stuff fixed that wasn't broke and I bought it no inspection required.

Sucks but get the house gone and be happy in your awesome new place!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
^^ This. Not worth the time effort or headache to fight it. Unfortunately FHA appraisers and loan underwriters are GOD in real estate. Is it right? Who knows but in the grand scheme of a real estate deal $200 isn't worth worrying about.
That's right, you'll have to do what the FHA guy wants if you want that guy to buy the house. I deal with FHA inspections and repairs on a daily basis and you can't get around what they want done if they're going to loan money on that house. On a conventional loan it's a lot different, you can tell them to take a hike, it's good to go.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
The appraiser that is requiring this is a solo practice and from my conversation with him, they are certified FHA appraisers/inspectors (not really sure what that means/amounts to though). I asked if there was any higher power that I could appeal this to and was told no. Based on my conversation with him, I could see I was going to get nowhere and the $200 it is going to cost me to have a certified electrician put "C" shaped conduit over the wiring is likely less that some other thing he will come up with if I complain. In the end I just like to be educated.
For $200 it is an absolute no brainer. Just get it done. The guy has to be way off base though.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Wires stapled along the sill plate and along the side of the joist are completely legal and in compliance with National Electrical Code (NEC). I do know that FHA loans are subject to their own independent standards, but I have to believe that this FHA inspector is off base. Otherwise every house in my town would fail. I've never seen a house that didn't have romex stapled to the side of a joist. And I know of a lot of houses that sold recently with FHA loans. FWIW I am a Master Electrician, certified IAEI Electrical Inspector and Plan Reviewer. You or your buyer needs to speak to the inspector again and somehow ask him if there is any chance he misread or misapplied the regulation. And ask to see it.
I would just ask to see the regs- saying that he mis-read it is likely to make him mad. I would also ask why his requirements diverge from NEC and what he's using as his reference. Is he privy to what's coming with the April 2014 NEC changes? How, exactly?