Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37803 View Post
That looks FANTASTIC ! Will this method work on my new x2 platform when they finish building it?
If it's a teak platform, yes....

Both of those platforms were new when I got them, one two years ago,and the other I picked up this summer at a good deal. I did nothing except wipe the dust off of them and treated as described. Yours should be the same or similar. I think most all of MC's boards come from Teak World (I may be wrong) but new teak is new teak.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
That is a great looking swim platform. I love the slots cut for the straps. I have seen that Linseed/Mineral spirits mixture before. I would do that this year if I did not have a whole bottle of teak oil given to me from the PO. How well does the mixture last as compared with the teak oil, bc a couple times out on the water and the teak oil is ready to be applied again.
Once a season is all I do to the board. I do use a silicone based wipe down when I get home and the board is dry but that is academic. I use the 303 product and a light wipe down to give it a nice shine. Otherwise it gets nothing other than daily use.

I cut the slots for my Boat Buckles as you noticed. Works perfectly....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2002
Wow, I put some effort into restoring ours on the X-9 which I was impressed with in the end, but this puts my work to shame, well done that looks great. Excellent job.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
@cloaked...platform looks great! What kind of prep work, sanding, pressure washing, etc? tks, mac
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 11-20-2013, 04:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Cloaked ill send ya my platform and you can remove all the crap the PO put on it eh?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Crownline 182 (sold), 2012 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
I just bought a stick of teak from Teak World last month. $73 (shipping included for a close proximity location) for the same platform. They don't do credit cards or PayPal. Billing is their M.O.

They sent me the board that did not have any radius so it came just the way I needed it. I did not use the board for this platform as I have another use for it in mind outside of the platform.

I use 75 % linseed oil / 25% mineral spirits. Teak oil is too heavy for my preference. Once a season is all I have to tend this one....trick that I have learned with my preferred mixture is to brush the oil on and leave it for an hour or so but not long enough for the excess to start drying in excess. Wipe the excess off very good and let each coat dry for 24-48 hours. Don't rely on any excess to soak in.....not the way it works for best results that I have experienced. Also pick a warmer time to do the project. Cooler temps (in the 50s) make for a long (and tacky) dry time....two coats total is all I ever use. Takes about 3/4 cup per coat for two sides.

Is that platform slippery when it comes wet in the water?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
Cloaked ill send ya my platform and you can remove all the crap the PO put on it eh?
How bad is your platform?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
How bad is your platform?
Platform is in great shape....just has some paint or something on it instead of oil. Not sure if I need to try to strip it or sand it or what. I keep trying to guilt my dad into dealing with it this winter for a winter project as the platform is still in his garage.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X1
I just wanted to bump this as I tried the 75% linseed 25% mineral spirits mix. All i did was pressure wash before application. The results look fantastic. I wanted to add my experience in case others were looking to try. Following Cloaked's instructions, I went this direction because I also feel teak oil is too heavy and wanted a more natural look.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 tristar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing View Post
I just wanted to bump this as I tried the 75% linseed 25% mineral spirits mix. All i did was pressure wash before application. The results look fantastic. I wanted to add my experience in case others were looking to try. Following Cloaked's instructions, I went this direction because I also feel teak oil is too heavy and wanted a more natural look.
Very nice!

1989 tristar 190