Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-16-2013, 05:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55 - 6.2L
Of course, there's always this reason...
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Most of the diesel pumps here in Colorado are clean, and I have found the same on my cross country trips. I in a 100 will be coated. C'mon, that is no excuse to not own a diesel.
I personally own a duramax and it doesn't bother me to pull up to a nasty pump because I'm a grungy mechanic and deal with that stuff every day, but most businessmen don't want to have to put fuel in their diesel in their suit and go to work smelling like diesel. ( I have no idea what the o.p. does for a living though) I saw a salesman from one of the local dealerships at the diesel pump the other day, all dressed up in typical nice sales clothes. He had 3 towels wrapped around the filler handle and when the pump didnt shut off it spewed all over his nice shoes. I'm sure he was sitting there thinking "these diesels are worthless I'd never own one" just giving the o.p. a heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5guy View Post
Of course, there's always this reason...
Darn new diesels are so clean they barely have any smell
Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55 - 6.2L
Run an IT organization for a large company. Businessman basically. Will struggle if going into the office means I smell like Diesel from the pump.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
OK, F it, get the Dmax.

Its not for the power, gassers have almost as much and will be faster unloaded.
One word - Control. Stepping to the 2500 platform delivers a heavier duty frame you will appreciate. 1500 can Tow loads fine but Control and Stop; not as well. Towing a travel, horse or car trailer are different because they will usually have electric brakes that react when the brake pedal is pushed and can be manually overridden for even greater or less force.
Our boat trailers are Surge braked so the trailer has to already have momentum pushing on the truck to begin braking.
The tipping factor of Control with the Dmax is the 1,2 "punch" of the Allison trans brake combined with the Turbo brake. It is nothing short of amazing how much slowing/stopping power is available before you ever touch the brakes.

Lets be honest, you know you are on the edge of towing your load with a 1500.
My trailer, boat and fuel scale at 6800#. Load up people, wakeboard gear and weekend gear; a 1500 is technically over its load limits. I know, I have done it on a swap of costs with a buddy's F150 and my boat for a weekend at the lake. My daily driver is a 3500 single axle, CC, LB Dmax and there is NO comparison, especially on a twisting hill decent or hit a highway corner a little too fast.

I'm not an advocate spending money just because one has the financial ability. IMO the Denali package is a bigger waste than the Diesel option, but each to his own. The Denali 2500 has softer suspension and spring pack than a standard 2500 so there should be plenty of cushion to the ride yet a more capable tow platform.

The one add-on I would advocate is a water/air/fuel separator/lift pump like Air Dog or FASS. You will likely never change a filter in 3 years and the 1.5% additional cost ($800) is the best insurance you could buy for staving off a host of trip or engine ruining problems. This is not a performance add-on and will have zero effect against warranty.

As for the Diesel smell on one's hands.......I have never heard something so whiny. Most consumer pumps are very clean and have a slower pump speed to avoid the burp. High speed diesel lanes can be dirty but rarely is that one's only option. Keep in mind with an average driving range of over 600 miles, you will likely touch a pump less than 20 times a year total.
A canister of wet wipes under the seat is a good idea regardless of what you drive.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 prostar 190,351 & 1995 prostar 190,LT1
I had a 3/4 ton chev gasser and now have a 3/4 ton dmax.Being on the west coast of BC, we have lots of hills and mountains. What I like about my diesel is, when going downhill on long steep grades, I don't have to constantly hit my brakes like I did on the gasser. In fact, I have to sometimes accelerate down some hills to keep up my speed, due to the engine compression.
If it doesn't blow black, take it back.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar, 1999, 330 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5guy View Post
Working with a friend at church who is a sales person at a mega dealer in the area. He's mostly a Ford guy but has access to a GMC branch - I'll get a test drive in the F150 and F250 this week before I make my choice. Don't like the exterior styling personally but will give it a shot based on recommendation here.

I wasn't going to mention the Ford vs Chevy until I read this post. I currently drive a 2013 F150 Eccoboost as my personal truck and a 2013 Chevy 1500 as my work truck. Both are well equipped with all the bells and whistles. The ford is hands down the better truck in my opinion and it's why I choose it last fall. I tow a snowmobile trailer regularly in the winter and occasionally tow my Maristar in the summer. At work I'm often moving small equipment from job site to job site.

Both trucks now offer 6 speed autos and grade braking making mountain driving a breeze and if overall trailer load is a concern I would consider the heavy trailer towing package. Where the Ford really shines is in the visibility with the tow mirrors and I find the interior much roomier (have you sat in the back seat of an F150 crew cab?), but to be honest my '13 Chevy has a dated interior that's all new in '14.

Good luck and I'm sure when you find the right truck for you you'll know it.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
The dirty smelly pump handles is bs. My wife has been drivin a diesel for the last 10 yrs and she's a nurse. Never went to work smellin like diesel. Besides how hard is it to grab a couple paper towels to hold the pump handle with.
I'd say get the gasser if you ever plan on owning a gasser again because after Rollin the Dmax you will think even the 6.2 is a pooch!
Obviously X55, M5, Denali you must have a garage. Keeps the truck warmer. Diesel warmup is about double the gasser. Plug it in though and it will be warm before you pull out of the garage.
Not sure what your 6.2 gets for mileage but my 6.2 ford is a gas suckin pig. 12mpg avg commuting.
17mpg avg with my bigger heavier big mud tire diesel. Diesel costs 10% more here and it gets gets almost 30% better mileage.
If you have the means get the diesel. Your X55 will look better behind it!!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1991, Indmar 351
Never heard the "smell like diesel after fueling up" argument before. My wife drives a diesel vw bug and I have never heard her complain about filling it up. I've filled it up a hundred times and never remember thinking anything about the pump handle. Not sure all the people driving diesel BMW and Mercedes would agree with that argument either...

I gotta agree with Thrall, the smelly pump handle argument is a bit lame.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Its not for the power, gassers have almost as much and will be faster unloaded.
I would have to see the faster unloaded to believe it.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
http://wot.motortrend.com/1311_2014_...g_testing.html