Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
If price is not a factor then go diesel but if it is then go gas. From what you describe it would be hard to justify the upcharge for a diesel as they cost on average $6-$10k more depending. I own a 2006 GMC 2500HD CrewCab 4x4 Dmax diesel but truly only because I found a great deal on a used one. The fuel mileage is better but around me I am paying nearly $1 more/gallon for diesel over the lowest grade of gas, so again, weigh that out.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Dmax and it does exactly what others here have already stated but if I had to buy a new truck tomorrow I could not justify the Dmax price.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55 - 6.2L
I love team talk! Great perspectives, thank you all. I'm still torn and not sure what I'm going to do. I am awaiting the arrival of a 14 1/2 ton denali at the stealer and take it for a drive. That will probably be the determining factor.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 2500HD Denali Diesel - just never had one before. Gotta try everything (almost) at least once....

Thanks again for the opinions.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Not sure what we are going to say that you don't already know.
The 1500 is at the upper end but doable with the load you have and purposes you ask of it.
You did not indicate whether your existing truck was 5.3 or 6.2?

You really don't put enough miles to justify the premium cost of a diesel and there is a ownership learning curve but given your low miles and two year turn over I doubt that will be an issue. Also with it being a lease, I assume you will not be trying to toy with it like some owners are tempted which usually opens up more questions and problems.
Your habits will not choke down the diesel with tons of in town miles.

Diesel has low end power that is fun and you will enjoy the extra stability plus turbo braking of Dmax 2500 when loaded.
Denali is such a premium product, your payment will be quiet large either way but just making a general assumption of financial situation with new x55 and high turn over of premium vehicles I don't think it will be that much of an issue.
Don't know how lease metrics will affect a Denali Dmax so have the dealer run some numbers for basic comparison and see......
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2006, 350
I am on my second 2500 gasser (probably won't be my last) it is the current body, and I am also waiting to see what the 2015 Denali HD brings to the table. I am at 280,000 km (174,000 miles) with only regular maintenance.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I been driving diesel medium duty trucks for the past 23 years and for constant heavy hauling (26K lbs.) there is no substitute for diesel power and torque. Many of those years I enjoyed low diesel fuel prices.....but not anymore. That coupled with EGR systems, high repair bills and expensive routine maintenance has proven that diesels are expensive to buy and run.

For a personal vehicle I'd think long and hard about these newer diesels. Do you really want to be bothered with plugging in every night during colder months? Adding DEF fluid? Expensive oil changes? Expensive fuel cost? Rough riding suspension?

I've been a GM guy for many years. My last FORD was my '88 Bronco......until I test drove the new Eco-boost. It changed my mind about gas engines for towing and overall driving. It's been a year now of solo driving (70% of the time) and towing my X-star (30%) and I've never had a pickup this nice. Took a long trip from NJ to Indiana and it was great.

Test drive one before you lease your next vehicle.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar, 1999, 330 LTR
There's not one mention of the awesome diesel oil coating on the pump handle at roadside fuel stations all over the country. One thing I don't miss about my diesel is not having a $50k truck that smells like diesel in the cab after 3 months.

You're also going to want a pair of gloves to use while pumping to keep the oil off everything inside the cab....like the steering wheel.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie623 View Post
There's not one mention of the awesome diesel oil coating on the pump handle at roadside fuel stations all over the country. One thing I don't miss about my diesel is not having a $50k truck that smells like diesel in the cab after 3 months.

You're also going to want a pair of gloves to use while pumping to keep the oil off everything inside the cab....like the steering wheel.
Its not that bad. Besides diesel fuel smells good.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie623 View Post

Very good point. I don't think I've eve used a clean diesel pump
Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 mastercraft prostar 190
Most of the diesel pumps here in Colorado are clean, and I have found the same on my cross country trips. I in a 100 will be coated. C'mon, that is no excuse to not own a diesel.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55 - 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Very good point. I don't think I've eve used a clean diesel pump
Never thought about that aspect - great point. Now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, the diesel handles are always quite nasty lookin'.

To the question earlier, current Denali is the 6.2L - at the top end of the trucks capability but still within and done well. I don't keep a vehicle for more than 3 years tops so I won't have the long-term reliability concern, and I don't mod my vehicles at all from stock. And, I don't think leasing terms are very appealing on a 3/4 ton so I'd probably just buy it outright. Would be able to lease the 1/2 ton - very attractive terms on those from Ally.

Working with a friend at church who is a sales person at a mega dealer in the area. He's mostly a Ford guy but has access to a GMC branch - I'll get a test drive in the F150 and F250 this week before I make my choice. Don't like the exterior styling personally but will give it a shot based on recommendation here.