Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
We used a Hyperlite 124 board for the kids to share. As a 6 year old, my daughter who was super tiny - We sat her on the edge of a flat tube, I held her vest until the rope had tension. She said GO and off she went for about 500 yards. My Dad spun the boat around to pick her up and she said "I'm good, pull me back to Dad".
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
we have the Hyperlite State and boots work fine, I need to help him but pretty easy with the MC compared to my old I/O swim platform.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
I have a Hyperlite Motive 109 for my 5 year old. The last couple years he's been riding on his stomach on a knee board behind the boat so he was comfortable back there and not afraid of wiping out. We started this spring with drills in the grass with board on and rope, knees bent, arm straight, stand up. In the water for the first few times I sat in lake with him and helped him pop up by pushing him out; after a couple tries he's able to get up now on his own. We use about 60' of rope for him with a nice even pull. We started off pulling slowly but we found it much better to be more aggressive on the pull.

He rides fairly well and with the X25 he needs to stay between the wake.

Will use the same technique to get my 4 year old up next year. They both play hockey and skate 6 days a week all year except 2 months of summer so they have developed strong legs and good balance which had helped the quick progression as well I'm sure.

I'm glad you mentioned the x25. We are going to have one for next season and my number 1concern would be how the kids react to that much bigger wake. Do yours seem to be good with it?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
I have a Hyperlite Motive 109 for my 5 year old. The last couple years he's been riding on his stomach on a knee board behind the boat so he was comfortable back there and not afraid of wiping out. We started this spring with drills in the grass with board on and rope, knees bent, arm straight, stand up. In the water for the first few times I sat in lake with him and helped him pop up by pushing him out; after a couple tries he's able to get up now on his own. We use about 60' of rope for him with a nice even pull. We started off pulling slowly but we found it much better to be more aggressive on the pull.

He rides fairly well and with the X25 he needs to stay between the wake.

Will use the same technique to get my 4 year old up next year. They both play hockey and skate 6 days a week all year except 2 months of summer so they have developed strong legs and good balance which had helped the quick progression as well I'm sure.
I tried to teach my 7 year old how to surf last summer but her main issue seems to be no balance. She still can't ride a bike yet either so I'm wondering how I can get around the balance thing.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
I'm all for teaching kids new things, but your boy said that skiing was BORING! Sacrilegious!! Get him to try dropping one and see how boring it is. Then he can start using a slalom course and never be bored again.
Just kidding, good luck with the wakeboarding.
This.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitilldark View Post
I'm glad you mentioned the x25. We are going to have one for next season and my number 1concern would be how the kids react to that much bigger wake. Do yours seem to be good with it?
He had just turned 5 last summer and isn't going anywhere near the wake yet. He does jump it on the kneeboard though, I don't think he knows enough to be scared of it.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
I tried to teach my 7 year old how to surf last summer but her main issue seems to be no balance. She still can't ride a bike yet either so I'm wondering how I can get around the balance thing.
Snowboarding would be a good start.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
I'd recommend two steps in getting a kid into a bigger wake like the X25.

First start them off on a long rope 75-80'. Tell them to stay in between the wakes. Get them comfortable going straight first. Then have them go back and forth between the wakes. As you feel they have some balance and board control - probably at least several sets or days depending on the kid, age, prior experience with similar sports, etc - you can start increasing the boat speed. I don't get mine above 15mph until they look very confident and are easily doing S-turns between the wakes. Once they get up to 17 or maybe 18 mph it's time to make it more challenging.

Step two, I change them to a very short rope - 55' or so - and dump all ballast on the boat. The combination of the short rope and unweighted x25 will give them a clean wake to play on at a low enough speed they don't injured themselves and/or start to get scared of what could happen. Then I try to have them go outside the wake then come back to the middle in each direction at the lowest speed I can give them a clean wake - will depend on the boat, rope length, and how many people are in the boat but hopefully you can do it in the 15-17mph range. Let them get used to dealing with the wake without jumping yet.

I had to switch my coaching technique when we moved to an X25 from an x15 because of the bigger wake. That's when I changed to a long rope to start and make them learn in between the wakes before shoving them on a big wake. Even unweighted, the x25 wake is good sized to a 4' and 60lb kid. The bigger wake also doesn't clean up at as low a speed as boats with smaller wakes. I'm a big believer that you want to teach kids at as slow a speed as you can so they learn to love the sport and not fear it. Drag them into a face plant at 18mph is a quick way to get them uninterested in going again.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
I'd recommend two steps in getting a kid into a bigger wake like the X25.

First start them off on a long rope 75-80'. Tell them to stay in between the wakes. Get them comfortable going straight first. Then have them go back and forth between the wakes. As you feel they have some balance and board control - probably at least several sets or days depending on the kid, age, prior experience with similar sports, etc - you can start increasing the boat speed. I don't get mine above 15mph until they look very confident and are easily doing S-turns between the wakes. Once they get up to 17 or maybe 18 mph it's time to make it more challenging.

Step two, I change them to a very short rope - 55' or so - and dump all ballast on the boat. The combination of the short rope and unweighted x25 will give them a clean wake to play on at a low enough speed they don't injured themselves and/or start to get scared of what could happen. Then I try to have them go outside the wake then come back to the middle in each direction at the lowest speed I can give them a clean wake - will depend on the boat, rope length, and how many people are in the boat but hopefully you can do it in the 15-17mph range. Let them get used to dealing with the wake without jumping yet.

I had to switch my coaching technique when we moved to an X25 from an x15 because of the bigger wake. That's when I changed to a long rope to start and make them learn in between the wakes before shoving them on a big wake. Even unweighted, the x25 wake is good sized to a 4' and 60lb kid. The bigger wake also doesn't clean up at as low a speed as boats with smaller wakes. I'm a big believer that you want to teach kids at as slow a speed as you can so they learn to love the sport and not fear it. Drag them into a face plant at 18mph is a quick way to get them uninterested in going again.

That is great info. Thanks a ton.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
Quote:
My 7 yr old had zero balance .. Tae Kwon Do .. now he's limber (can do splits), he's strong (can do 20+ knuckle push ups) and he's got great balance. I'm hoping those spinning kicks will translate to aerials!

He started at 5 and just got his black belt, so its not something that happens overnight, but its a continual improvement.