Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
At full flow my water hose will not keep up with the water demand at anything over idle. Hence, why I use the bucket. It also makes it very easy in getting the AF in the motor.
I can keep up with demand at idle, but not above idle. That's why I switched from a bucket to a tub.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
I don't have any scientific evidence, but I am inclined to believe the "Fake-a-Lake" will supply water fast enough to cool you motor when it is on the trailer running and not under any load. Even though the impeller can pump water faster, it doesn't necessarily have to. There will still be plenty of water moving through it to keep the impeller from running dry or heating up. Running from a bucket and a hose does essentially the same thing, even if the bucket seems to be dry, you are still sucking up water at a pretty good flow rate.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
I don't have any scientific evidence, but I am inclined to believe the "Fake-a-Lake" will supply water fast enough to cool you motor when it is on the trailer running and not under any load. Even though the impeller can pump water faster, it doesn't necessarily have to. There will still be plenty of water moving through it to keep the impeller from running dry or heating up. Running from a bucket and a hose does essentially the same thing, even if the bucket seems to be dry, you are still sucking up water at a pretty good flow rate.
until it slips off... and a fully primed impeller works cooler as well IMO.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
until it slips off... and a fully primed impeller works cooler as well IMO.
That's why I got rid of mine. Had it set and hopped into the boat carefully. Glad I had my son keeping an eye on the thing.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
I am on the same page as this. I don't use the fake-a-lake, but I direct garden hose to water pump connection. I still just don't see how running on the hose for 5 minutes is going to harm anything. Your underlined comments make perfect sense in my mind.

This said, I completely understand the ease of using a bucket or tub to get the antifreeze into the block. Brilliant idea on that end.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ProStar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
I am on the same page as this. I don't use the fake-a-lake, but I direct garden hose to water pump connection. I still just don't see how running on the hose for 5 minutes is going to harm anything. Your underlined comments make perfect sense in my mind.

This said, I completely understand the ease of using a bucket or tub to get the antifreeze into the block. Brilliant idea on that end.
Agreed.

I'm curious...if the point is to get the engine temp up, doesn't using less water get you their more quickly, or am I missing something? There's been a time or two where my flow was low and so I saw the temp get up to 200+ pretty quickly. Isn't that the goal or is that heating up the wrong things?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Agreed.

I'm curious...if the point is to get the engine temp up, doesn't using less water get you their more quickly, or am I missing something? There's been a time or two where my flow was low and so I saw the temp get up to 200+ pretty quickly. Isn't that the goal or is that heating up the wrong things?
I'm not sure if you are joking or not.

Not all parts of the engine and exhaust with heat up at the same rate. With a lack of water you risk over heating parts of the engine and this includes the flex hoses and the mufflers. I'm not looking to get the temp to 200 degrees or heat up the engine unevenly.

When I'm doing my winterization I run the motor for a lot longer then 5 minutes. Getting the engine to temp probably takes 15 minutes alone. One of the things I want to accomplish is getting the oil good and warm as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Agreed.

I am very in the protect the engine at any cost or action. After seeing two motors fry head gaskets and worse I want the maximum amount of water traveling past the cylinders - The gap(surface) between cylinders is small and things get hot there very quick.

I'll call hose method adequate - but bucket or tub method best. I don't want to see the inside of my engine anytime soon. But that is just me.

When I ran the bucket method - I just could not go back. I do use hose to do a start test before I trailer anywhere tho' - just make sure she starts after sitting for a week or so.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ProStar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'm not sure if you are joking or not.

Not all parts of the engine and exhaust with heat up at the same rate. With a lack of water you risk over heating parts of the engine and this includes the flex hoses and the mufflers. I'm not looking to get the temp to 200 degrees or heat up the engine unevenly.

When I'm doing my winterization I run the motor for a lot longer then 5 minutes. Getting the engine to temp probably takes 15 minutes alone. One of the things I want to accomplish is getting the oil good and warm as well.
Yes...and no. It was by accident that I saw the temp rise quickly, but it got me to wondering. So how do you know when it is to temp...or are you still going by the temp gauge but getting there at engine idle?

And are you wanting the oil warm because you are going to be changing it as well?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Waring up the engine can take a while in MN because the hose water isn't very warm in October. A person can take some advantage of heat soak by running the engine for five minutes, then shutting down for a couple minutes, then restarting and running for five minutes....... You do need to run at more than idle speed to get the engine warmed up and thats where the supply of water direct from the hose is not sufficient in my estimation.

SPECIAL PRICE