Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
^ do this. If you have an MCX engine or any dry intake engine, this is the proper way to fog anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Jerseydave - The Indmar manual for my MCX 350 engine says to remove the air filter and spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil through the inake opening. This is how I did it when I winterized a couple of weeks ago, seemed to work just fine. Just wondering if I am missing something? I went back through the manual and didn't see anything about fogging through the spark plug holes.
My dealer told me to fog through the intake for winterizing. Most of you know him from his years here.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Given all the ambiguous reasons and moreover the lack of solid reasons as to why and what method to use while fogging I'd have to go with the manufacture of the motor.

Dry vs wet intakes
Cats vs no cats

No clearly defined reason as to either methods or equipment puts most of this up in the air as to why we do it they way we do it.

I have my own theories to support why I do it the way I do it but I generalize those theories based on what Indmar says is the "right" way to do it.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Sooo, long story short, I pulled the plugs and gave a spray to each cylinder. Good for the year and a half it will be in storage???
Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
Sooo, long story short, I pulled the plugs and gave a spray to each cylinder. Good for the year and a half it will be in storage???

The hell?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I emailed Indmar about the fogging procedure for my engine and they sent me the same winterization pdf that CantRepeat posted. I also called one of their "Platinum" service centers and the gentleman there also said to fog through the spark plug holes. He said that the problem with fogging through the intake is that the oil is not supposed to get onto the MAP or throttle position sensor. It could cause the sensors to not read properly. So, I get to worry about that all Winter. (On cars the MAP sensor is usually in the tube between the air filter and intake. Does the MCX even have a MAP sensor?)

The thing that makes me mad is that I pulled the engine manual from the Indmar website and it specifically lists the "MCX 350" as an engine that the manual applies to. Then it tells me to fog through the intake. I literally did things "by the book" and still got it wrong

I don't even see where the "winterize pdf" is even published on the Indmar website.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:31 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Jerseydave - The Indmar manual for my MCX 350 engine says to remove the air filter and spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil through the inake opening. This is how I did it when I winterized a couple of weeks ago, seemed to work just fine. Just wondering if I am missing something? I went back through the manual and didn't see anything about fogging through the spark plug holes.
I was told this a long time ago by my buddy who has been a Nautique dealer for over 25 years. Something about an oily residue can build up over the years if you continue to fog a dry intake. I would also think getting fogging oil on any sensors like the MAP sensor would not be a good thing either.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
From Indmar's 5.7 winterization manual.
Read page 2......it says remove spark plugs and fog that way.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I emailed Indmar about the fogging procedure for my engine and they sent me the same winterization pdf that CantRepeat posted. I also called one of their "Platinum" service centers and the gentleman there also said to fog through the spark plug holes. He said that the problem with fogging through the intake is that the oil is not supposed to get onto the MAP or throttle position sensor. It could cause the sensors to not read properly. So, I get to worry about that all Winter. (On cars the MAP sensor is usually in the tube between the air filter and intake. Does the MCX even have a MAP sensor?)

The thing that makes me mad is that I pulled the engine manual from the Indmar website and it specifically lists the "MCX 350" as an engine that the manual applies to. Then it tells me to fog through the intake. I literally did things "by the book" and still got it wrong

I don't even see where the "winterize pdf" is even published on the Indmar website.
There used to be anonymous FTP to the Indmar website, which is where I got the pdf from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Read page 2......it says remove spark plugs and fog that way.
Yeah, that's what I posted.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
The hell?
Work is allowing me about one summer home every two years right now. Lol This year was my summer home.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:

Don't worry about it. I'm not that knowledgeable, but I was told by one of the most knowledgeable engine guys here (MYMC who I bought 3 boats from - do some searches for his postings and you will get it) to fog through the intake. His lead mechanic at the time confirmed the same thing. After reading all this if I still had my boat with mcx I'd still fog through the intake.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.