Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdog145 View Post
JimN: Where would you recommend mounting battery 2? battery 1 is under the spotter's seat so the bow is the closest place to it, and as far as I can tell it is the only place I can get it to fit. under the back seat is not an option on the '89.
And Cloaked: pardon my ignorance because I am a brand new Mastercraft owner. Can I screw into the floor into the bow anywhere? What material is the deck made of under the carpet? The bow storage area is the only place I can find to fit the battery, and it would be somewhat easier to wire in and isolator because of its proximity to the original battery under the spotter's seat. Did you make it so the whole battery box is removable so you dont have to lift the battery out of the box?
Under the passenger seat is your best bet for the start battery, but your original post referenced only a second auxiliary battery.

The floor deck does not extend beyond the floor surface, so don't go running drywall screws () into the hull. Once you leave the floor area, that's where it stops. Go back and carefully read what I described as the area of where I mounted mine. It's in the floor but adjacent to the bow/hull. You can screw most anywhere on the floor surface but don't get up on the sides. That's all hull and nothing but water on the other side... use extra caution before drilling or screwing anything anywhere... think it through.....

The floor is a typical wood product with maybe a coat of epoxy resin, or similar treatment / material. It will hold a wood screw.

Wire the isolation switch wherever is practical to obtain the shortest wire run (cost effective) and what is convenient to you for reaching the switch. Mine is about 6" too far forward so I have to reach an extra grunt to get to it. .

The battery box sits on the floor, period. There are two small brackets that mount to the floor and you set the box in between them, running the strap through the brackets and under the box, then across the top of the box. Everything is portable.

You're on the right track. I too used an isolation switch but had I to do it again, I'd go with what the original poster used (less wire, cost effective). Simple and effective. However there is nothing wrong with using a switch.

Using a vented battery box will allow you to make all of your connections within the box (with lid on), where required. Plan for your fusing as well. I used terminal block fuses and the box/lid will allow with a little room to spare.

Work in progress below (that is a center, interior, vertical kick panel that I have for mounting the switch, etc, not a hull area)

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-03-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft ProStar 190 351ci
battery location 89 prostar

Cloaked,
Thanks for all of the great info. I certainly understand the concept of screwing into the flat floor area vs the sloped hull area of the bow. I just wasn't familiar with the construction of the flat floor area and how it would be affected by screwing into it. And you answered my question on the battery box. I know now that when it comes to removing the battery for replacement/ winterizing I would be able to slide the box out in order to remove the battery and it wouldnt be permanently fixed to the floor.
Great info on a source for the cables as well.
My most significant concern was being able to screw into the flat (non-hull) floor area.
As I said, I am a brand new first time owner and you can expect to see a lot of questions from me all over Team Talk.

Thanks again for your help.
Tim
Old 11-19-2013, 12:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
The Official Dual Battery Thread

Can anyone shed light on a dual battery setup in a 2008 X2? I have two batteries which are not paralleled from what I can tell. One battery has cables marked "house" connected to it and the second battery has cables marked "starter" connected to it. These cables run to a 3 way blue sea battery selector switch (off/on/combine). When in the "on" position both batteries are live but isolated. So...why does my stereo stop playing if I disconnect the "starter" battery? This does not make sense to me...what am I missing?

Thanks!

Last edited by imyourmaster; 11-19-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Crownline 182 (sold), 2012 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
Can anyone shed light on a dual battery setup in a 2008 X2? I have two batteries which are not paralleled from what I can tell. One battery has cables marked "house" connected to it and the second battery has cables marked "starter" connected to it. These cables run to a 3 way blue sea battery selector switch (off/on/combine). When in the "on" position both batteries are live but isolated. So...why does my stereo stop playing if I disconnect the "house" battery? This does not make sense to me...what am I missing?

Thanks!
From what I know about is that the house battery is for stereo and accesoirs etc. And the starter is for starting the engine so if you play to long on the stereo. Than you are abble to start the boat again.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Sorry guys...I had to edit my original post. I had originally asked why my stereo would stop playing when I disconnect the "house" battery. What I meant to say was when I disconnect the "starter" battery.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Crownline 182 (sold), 2012 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Sorry guys...I had to edit my original post. I had originally asked why my stereo would stop playing when I disconnect the "house" battery. What I meant to say was when I disconnect the "starter" battery.
Sorry can't help with that. Would to know the answer to.
Never tryed its with a 2012 x2.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Quote:
Could it be that one of the 12v trigger leads is commected to the starter batt circuit? IOW, house batt is providing the consumptive power for the head unt and amplifiers, but the on/off trigger is tied out to the other batt and when disconnected, there's no trigger voltage.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply! It made me think about the possibility...However, my 12v trigger lead runs directly from the head unit to the amplifiers. For whatever reason may be, the head unit loses power when I disconnect either of the house or starter battery. I will talk to the guys at Blue Sea today. It could be that the connections on the back of the battery selector switch are wrong.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Sorry to tread jack...but could someone point me to a post that I was reading a couple weeks ago about best battery tender/ battery charger for winter? Thought I would ask here instead of start new post.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
So last weekend I added the blue seas add a battery system with a starting and deep cell battery. Today we were sitting listening for music for approx 1.5 hrs and when I tried to start the boat it took 3-4 turns to get it to turn over. I would have thought the relay would have transitioned to the starting battery automatically without need for a few turns. Does this mean I did not install it correctly? Any trouble-shooting advice before I call blue seas tomorrow?

fyi, I used 2 gauge wire for all set up and 100 amp fuse for relay (as described in the instructions), i only have a sub and head unit powering 4 speakers. As soon as I started the boat, pp was reading 13.2V and 11.7V with engine off.

Thanks for any help.

Tags
amp, ballast, batteries, stereo, system