Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Are you sure the battery is charging up all the way? Alternator tested too?

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Carr View Post
It still sounds like you have a battery cable connection problem or a faulty battery cable. Did you clean the ground cable connection on the engine?
This was my first thought. But you are getting a voltage reading at the dash.

By the way, don't hesitate to move the battery away from the gas tank. Had I kept my boat another season, that project was on my to-do list.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991 351 ford
Well as it turns out there was a pin inside the starter that was misaligned. Problem corrected and was able to get back to the lake this afternoon. Crossing fingers that I can go a day or tow without anymore issues.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Nice! Im leaving to head to the lake house in 2-3hrs with a few new parts to try out on the 83'. I cant wait to hear this new ministarter fire up the ol 351 with ease!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
I have a 92 190 PS and I moved the battery to the well under the observer's seat - well was designed as a cooler and the hole in the rear is a drain in to the bilge. Factory cables will reach and then some and I mounted a battery switch inside the flip up backrest on the floor (factory positive cable reached. I drilled a 1" hole just above the drain in "cooler" to route cables from bilge. Much better location for battery IMO and I think every boat should have a battery switch. I would send pictures but will not be up at the lake for a few weeks.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Agree about the battery switch. I just added one this spring. So much easier than chasing whatever was slowly draining my batter last year.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft ProStar 190 351ci
battery location 89 prostar

I know this is only somewhat related to this thread but does anyone know a good place to secure a second battery in the bow of a 89 prostar 190?