Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I think your friend got the better end of the deal.
That hitch looks VERY rough. Heavily corroded. Midwest is very ambiguous but I would guess rust belt with lots of salt.

I would try some of the chemicals like wheel cleaner then aggressive pontoon cleaner. There was likely an anti corrosive coating originally that has probably long since worn away from the looks regardless. Brake kleen and other parts cleaners are good for oil/carbon based cleanup but I doubt will touch the actual corrosion.

I would stay away from wire wheel except as a last resort. It is too aggressive and will leave a rough brushed finish that will have greater surface area for future corrosion. I would liken it to heavy wet sanding that takes multiple grits before polishing to bring back a shine.

Personally, it is past show piece condition and I would not waste that much time trying to restore it. It is good for what it is, a quick adjustable hitch. Even that will have some compromises. I can see wallowing of both holes that will allow more slop.

That looks like a 10" drop so I hope you have a 6" lift or it will be banging on every curb or rock. Don't forget to take it off if you get close to an aggressive incline/decline, it will dig/drag.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
I think your friend got the better end of the deal.
That hitch looks VERY rough. Heavily corroded. Midwest is very ambiguous but I would guess rust belt with lots of salt.

I would try some of the chemicals like wheel cleaner then aggressive pontoon cleaner. There was likely an anti corrosive coating originally that has probably long since worn away from the looks regardless. Brake kleen and other parts cleaners are good for oil/carbon based cleanup but I doubt will touch the actual corrosion.

I would stay away from wire wheel except as a last resort. It is too aggressive and will leave a rough brushed finish that will have greater surface area for future corrosion. I would liken it to heavy wet sanding that takes multiple grits before polishing to bring back a shine.

Personally, it is past show piece condition and I would not waste that much time trying to restore it. It is good for what it is, a quick adjustable hitch. Even that will have some compromises. I can see wallowing of both holes that will allow more slop.

That looks like a 10" drop so I hope you have a 6" lift or it will be banging on every curb or rock. Don't forget to take it off if you get close to an aggressive incline/decline, it will dig/drag.
Yea the hitch is in rough shape, I think it looks worse than it is. I think they hauled it around in the truck bed for a while and that's why it looks the way it does. I have nothing in the hitch, the bumper I traded for it was built by me after I hit a deer and insurance paid me for the original bumper. I think it's about an 8" drop hitch, I use a 6" drop hitch on my truck to pull everything and have never drug it anywhere. I realize this one will be a little lower. I don't want it show quality condition because the truck isn't anything special so I'd just like to get it cleaned up and mostly shiny again. Thank you for the info on the cleaners, I've gotta search the local stores and see what I can come up with for cleaner.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
If you get it cleaned up I am sure some wax or something would help keep it that way. I have also heard of people using clear plasti-dip to coat aluminum rims before, but have never tried it myself.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Hey Russel... my dad owns an aluminum manufacturing foundry and machine shop. I'll see what he suggests. Hell, if you can get it to me I'll bring it by his shop and have him treat it with a batch of other parts and it'll probably come out looking brand new. I'll send him the picture first and see what he says.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 PM
MC Maniac

Just got a text from my dad....

"Shot blast it. Bring it home next time and we can do that. "

Can you get it to me in KC?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 PM
MC Maniac

Also worth noting, he said if you have it shot blasted you shouldn't have to treat it in any other way to protect it from the elements. This man knows aluminum too haha. I'd take his advice even if I can't help you get it done.

Edit... and holy **** this is old. Sorry...

Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Will the shot blast take off paint? I ended up sandin it a little and throwing a coat of krylon on it. I'll actually be up in kc in a couple weeks for 3-4 days. Need to meet up with ya anyway
Old 02-21-2014, 10:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
call a body shop supply company and get a product called alumi-prep soak it with it and you will be amazed
Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Will the shot blast take off paint? I ended up sandin it a little and throwing a coat of krylon on it. I'll actually be up in kc in a couple weeks for 3-4 days. Need to meet up with ya anyway
Absolutely it will. It's basically a giant tumbling machine that shoots tiny abrasive beads at it. I can run it through a few times and it'll look great.