Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-31-2013, 12:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Sub recommendations, which one ?

Finally got a JL HD1200/1. Before I had a HD900/5 to power my JL in boats and single 12" CVR sub. After changing my 600/4 to a 750/1 on the tower I am going to replace the 900/5 with 600/4 running the in boats and 1200/1 on the sub.
So I really want to stick with a single sub under the helm. I have plenty of room so any size, just needs to slam. Probably a ported box. Couple of questions: 12w6 handle that much power or do I need a 12w7? Or look for a nice used 13.5? Or go with AA or another brand? Or two? Any input appreciated! While my current 12" in ported box has been adequate I'm excited for more power and bass. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
If you have plenty of space then began your selection process with the boat dictating the enclosure. And that will produce your best sub option. For example:
Dual bass-reflex 12W6v3s will offer 79% more surface area and only require 55% more external enclosure displacement as compared to a single 12W7.
Past surface area the biggest factor in bass production is how you direct the bass radiation from a sub/enclosure within a console to the open cockpit. You can maintain 100% of the energy or you can lose 5 to 6 dB (75% lost energy) in the transfer depending on the design. Not to mention, it makes a giant difference in sound quality. Again, that directs you back to the boat at the beginning of your sub design process.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
First off, listen to this David guy...he is hands down either the smartest dude in the sound business or the worlds best bull@$%!er...but I'm going with the first cause he has helped me out in previous posts, ha!

Here is what I can add to the conversation: 2007 X Star stock factory (4) towers running off a 600/4 and I have a single 13W7 in a ported box run by a 750/1. It sounds awesome and slams hard...on Torch lake this summer the 13W7 would draw people from across the very crowded sand bar to see where the hell all the base was coming from...it is all you will ever need. Makes an already great factory JL system seem anemic.

Now David did recommend that going to the 1200/1 will make the thing come alive vs. the 750/1. You will be very pleased if you go with the W7. I plan on taking the box from my current boat and putting it in a '14 X Star, then upgrading power to have 200W running to each of the in boat and using my 750/1 on the towers. There are level controls for each of the zones. I'm hoping it doesn't suck...can't imagine it will.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Sub recommendations, which one ?

Here is the current setup. Not sure if I could get two 12's in there. Guess I need to measure it up. Which way would they radiate? I'm sure I could get a single 15" though.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
Here is the current setup. Not sure if I could get two 12's in there. Guess I need to measure it up. Which way would they radiate? I'm sure I could get a single 15" though.
You don't see open helm consoles on most or more recent MasterCrafts, and that is a huge advantage for you since the subwoofer will be direct-radiating in your case. With a very large woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure you will probably need to aim the sub and port outward....right at your knees. In a side-firing set-up, with such a large enclosure, the woofer and port would be a little cramped. And that's something you want to avoid. Btw, you always want the woofer and port on the same side of the enclosure in this particular scenario. So your situation is a simple one. Go with the most surface area you can as long as the woofer thermal power rating is matched well with your amplifier power. That could be two times 12W6v3s or a single 12W7 or a single 13W7. Start with the boat which will dictate the maximum external enclosure displacement which will dictate the loading method and woofer. It's about creating the most output in the most efficient manner. The woofer/amplifier combination that is operating the most conservatively always sounds the best.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
what boat is that?