Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Stereo Replacement in '88 Tristar

The original Sony, with cassette, finally died this summer so it's time to replace/upgrade. Read a lot of the Audio/Stereo threads, but honestly most were above my needs. I replaced the in-boat speakers recently (4). Not really looking to do a full amp/sub (no tower), just looking for a bit better sound. Does anyone have any experience with the Alpine KTP-445U power pack ($130)? It is designed to be 'plug & play' using the stereo wiring and ups the power from the typical 17-18 watts to 45 watts RMS. It is small enough to fit behind the head unit mounted below the closed bow of the boat. Seems like an interesting concept and it had some good reviews on Crutchfield.com

For the head unit, looking at the Alpine CDE-141 or 143BT as it will be directly plug & play to the KTP-445U, or the Sony CDX-GT575UP or 660UP which may need some wiring in. Needs to be a single DIN, with I-pod, USB. It has a splash cover already.

Any comments or anything to be wary of, for a non-audiophile, would be appreciated.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KTP-445U.html

You can barely see the where the head unit mounts in the middle of the opening of the passenger seat in the picture.
Attached Images