Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Stereo Replacement in '88 Tristar

The original Sony, with cassette, finally died this summer so it's time to replace/upgrade. Read a lot of the Audio/Stereo threads, but honestly most were above my needs. I replaced the in-boat speakers recently (4). Not really looking to do a full amp/sub (no tower), just looking for a bit better sound. Does anyone have any experience with the Alpine KTP-445U power pack ($130)? It is designed to be 'plug & play' using the stereo wiring and ups the power from the typical 17-18 watts to 45 watts RMS. It is small enough to fit behind the head unit mounted below the closed bow of the boat. Seems like an interesting concept and it had some good reviews on Crutchfield.com

For the head unit, looking at the Alpine CDE-141 or 143BT as it will be directly plug & play to the KTP-445U, or the Sony CDX-GT575UP or 660UP which may need some wiring in. Needs to be a single DIN, with I-pod, USB. It has a splash cover already.

Any comments or anything to be wary of, for a non-audiophile, would be appreciated.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KTP-445U.html

You can barely see the where the head unit mounts in the middle of the opening of the passenger seat in the picture.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I can't offer any suggestions, but I hope some folks do give their input. I've got the ProStar version of this boat and I'm hoping to do a little work on the stereo next summer. I'm running the Kenwood KMR-555U head unit. I'm hoping to replace the cabin speakers and add a 5 channel amp (4 cabin speakers plus a sub). I'd like to do JL speakers, but maybe I'll buy some less expensive speakers and spend more on the amp now, knowing that in 3-4 years I'd be able to upgrade the speakers at that point.
Some of you folks who are audio experts, what would you suggest?
G
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Alpine HU have been good for me.
The 143BT gives you two outputs which leaves room for expansion later. One for speaker amp, one for sub.
Consider the 147BT as it has 4v preouts instead of 2v on the lower models. 4v is twice the input power going into the amp. Theoretically, if the HU and amp are matched and tuned properly there should be no difference if using only one amp but the extra signal strength can make up for weakness like less quality rca cable, longer runs, and multiple amps. Don't know the retail cost difference.

No experience with the KTP-445 but the HU you are considering are already rated at 50w so I don't think the KTP is a beneficial choice. An independent amp usually sounds better than HU power but there are stronger amp choices for similar $$. Don't be distracted by built in rca and output pig tails. You still have to run wire and will run better wire than the ultra thin that is part of that proprietary pig tail.

You don't specify what speakers are currently installed?
Any time you add an amp or plan on listening for longer periods with engine off, I recommend a second battery if not so equipped already.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

4 Polk db651 speakers. Going w/ a 4 or 5 channel amp, and a sub setup would probably necessitate second battery and possibly upgraded alt., and substantial amount of wiring. A system of that type and quality is more than I'm after. Isn't the 50 watts a peak number for the hu? My reading seemed to be that hu's output 17 to 18 rms typically. My knowledge of audio equipment is limited at best, no experience with auto amps.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyOrange88 View Post
4 Polk db651 speakers. Going w/ a 4 or 5 channel amp, and a sub setup would probably necessitate second battery and possibly upgraded alt., and substantial amount of wiring. A system of that type and quality is more than I'm after. Isn't the 50 watts a peak number for the hu? My reading seemed to be that hu's output 17 to 18 rms typically. My knowledge of audio equipment is limited at best, no experience with auto amps.
Consider this:
  • Head unit of your choice. Minimal performance is standard on most low - mid range units. Consider the Sony CDX-GT660UP HU. Should put out 17 watts RMS per channel X 4 (plenty of sound for the budget install with an amp coming in the near future). http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT660U...ny+CDX-GT660UP
  • 4 Polk db651 speakers wired off the head unit (until budget allows for a four-channel amp). Low-end speakers but the sub will enhance the overall sound and these will serve you very well, still capable of accommodating a future 4X 100 watt RMS amp. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB6...rds=polk+db651
  • One strand of 14GA wire (length to suit) for sub-woofer to ignition accessory post for remote turn on of the sub. Should be a common garage item.
  • Minimal wiring costs. I'd probably spend $25 on 50 foot of 2-conductor tinned 14GA wire (for the four cabin speakers), maybe a pack of 12 butt splice connectors (for the head unit to speaker wire), and some small slip-on connectors for the speakers (beware of the sizing of the speaker connectors). You may have to resort to automotive supplies for the speaker connectors. .....................(http://www.genuinedealz.com/14-2-awg...-blk-red-25-ft) for reference or to order.
Entire setup under US$500.......... a second battery not mandatory and your OEM 51 amp alternator will keep up. Just be cognizant of your battery use on a time-to-time basis. You're not powering an 80 foot wide-body houseboat for a week-long extravaganza....

This will give you a well rounded sound for the money. Don't worry about the nano-milisecond decibels that you will miss out on if you don't have the fish-killer system. You're there to ski...(or my objective anyway).

If this doesn't work, you're just kicking tires like Footin' is, looking for the perfect 2007 X2 boat....

Patsy Cline or Kenny Wayne Sheppard will sound like they are performing right there on your platform....

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-05-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Cloaked-
Thanks for posting that list. I've been wanting to build a system for my boat, and your list looks like just the ticket. I've been wondering about using a Bazooka tube, given that most other folks on this board go with a custom enclosure. I've just put in a new head unit, but my speakers are pretty rough. I think replacing them and then adding a small 4-channel amp, in conjunction with the Bazooka will really help improve things.
Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Cloaked and Bsloop for the responses. The Sony unit is one that I have been looking at already as well. Not familiar withthe Bazooka unit so I'll need to research it a bit. Te front end of the closed bow tends to get packed full of skis, wakeboards, kneeboards, vests etc. so the mounting of anything up there needs to be such that things don't hang up or tear up (ie. ski won't go in all the way, just push it harder. What I'm thinking will happen).

I hear you on the time thing, we don't spend huge amounts of time just listening while parked on the water. Now while it's parked in the garage, that might be a different story. Good thing an outlet is close by.