Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x7
MCX knock sensors and drain plugs

I want to add ball valves on the block drain plugs were the knock sensors go. If I put a tee there, with the knock sensor on one end and the ball valve on the other, will the sensor still work properly?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 08 X-2 MCX
Well when I bout my 08 X-2 they were unplugged laying in the hull from winterization, and someone put the wrong older style gm sensors in the holes. Not wanting to mess with them til after the season I simply plugged them in and left em lay. Boat ran fine all summer so I assume doing what you want wont hurt a thing. I myself just did it, if I could figure out how to get a pic on here I'd show ya what I did.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 08 X-2 MCX
Name:  drains.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  123.5 KB

This what I did on both sides. ALL stainless ran about $110. You can skimp on valves if ya want, but that's not my thing.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
I'd be careful modifying as folks have shown. Knock sensor retards the timing to prevent internal engine damage from pre-ignition. Making a change to location or laying in the bilge means you no longer have this protection for the engine.

In the old days, it wasn't uncommon for engine "pinging" to damage an engine if not addresse. Had a old neighbor that ran cheap gas in his mid 70s car and would hear it pinging all the way up the hill to his house. Told him he better run a higher octane gas but was too cheap to spend the $. Engine went ~ 2 years before it failed
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197, MCX, powerslot
I would be worried something like that would break off while in use.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk now Free
Old 10-27-2013, 01:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft 2008 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr245 View Post
Attachment 102556

This what I did on both sides. ALL stainless ran about $110. You can skimp on valves if ya want, but that's not my thing.
Will you please post your parts list I am certainly interested in this idea. My concern is over the years the block threads will wear out and then what.... your idea will fix that concern.....

TKS..........
Old 10-27-2013, 03:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by carracer View Post
My concern is over the years the block threads will wear out and then what
Well, put Brass plugs in the holes. The likelihood of Brass wearing out the cast iron of the engine block is about nil. After 100 years of removing/replacing the brass plugs, they'll wear out and you can replace just the plugs.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of drain valves. When I pull my drain plugs, I normally have to stick a screwdriver in the hole to knock the scale loose before the engine will drain correctly. With a valve in place, you'd never be able to do that.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:54 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by carracer View Post
My concern is over the years the block threads will wear out and then what
Well, put Brass plugs in the holes. The likelihood of Brass wearing out the cast iron of the engine block is about nil. After 100 years of removing/replacing the brass plugs, they'll wear out and you can replace just the plugs.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of drain valves. When I pull my drain plugs, I normally have to stick a screwdriver in the hole to knock the scale loose before the engine will drain correctly. With a valve in place, you'd never be able to do that.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:00 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post

Frank - didn't know you were that old..
Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Frank - didn't know you were that old..
Get off'n my lawn! Go on, get outta here!

Dang whippersnappers!