Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft X-Star 310HP 2000lbs Ballast
2000 X-Star not starting

I have been having some issues with my x-star. First wasn't getting fuel, but luckily I didn't waste the money on a new fuel pump because it turned out to be a fuse. Got that fixed and then the throttle body was leaking fuel, ok rebuilt the throttle body now it's holding pressure. But now it seems like the starter (with a fresh charge on the battery) doesn't seem to be turning the motor over fast enough. I did notice that when I am trying to start it if I stay on the key for more than a couple of seconds that the starter cable starts burning/smoking. Could the cable be my problem? Is it possible that the cable is just losing voltage causing the starter to not spin as fast as it used to/should? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Yes, you could have corrosion inside the cable under the sheathing - If you OHM the cable it will spike then drain off quickly - If it does this, cable is toast.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00TXstar View Post
I have been having some issues with my x-star. First wasn't getting fuel, but luckily I didn't waste the money on a new fuel pump because it turned out to be a fuse. Got that fixed and then the throttle body was leaking fuel, ok rebuilt the throttle body now it's holding pressure. But now it seems like the starter (with a fresh charge on the battery) doesn't seem to be turning the motor over fast enough. I did notice that when I am trying to start it if I stay on the key for more than a couple of seconds that the starter cable starts burning/smoking. Could the cable be my problem? Is it possible that the cable is just losing voltage causing the starter to not spin as fast as it used to/should? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Remove the starter and have it tested. If that tests OK, make sure the cables aren't dropping the voltage- if you disconnect the battery, disconnect one end to try to bend them and they resist with a crackling sound, it's highly likely that the wire is corroded inside of the jacket. These would need to be replaced.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft X-Star 310HP 2000lbs Ballast
thanks guys, The starter is brand new as well as the alternator so it sounds like it is my cables. I have been thinking about putting a second "starting" battery back by the motor and using the one under the passenger seat only for the radio and I think that shortening the distance between the starting battery and the starter would also help with any loss of voltage and I wouldn't be worried about killing the battery while listening to the radio with the boat shut off.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00TXstar View Post
thanks guys, The starter is brand new as well as the alternator so it sounds like it is my cables. I have been thinking about putting a second "starting" battery back by the motor and using the one under the passenger seat only for the radio and I think that shortening the distance between the starting battery and the starter would also help with any loss of voltage and I wouldn't be worried about killing the battery while listening to the radio with the boat shut off.
They located the battery where it was for decades and the problems are usually caused by moisture, due to the engine cover not being left open a bit (not much air movement for long periods) and covers that seal moisture inside. If you put two batteries in different locations, you run the risk of having additional problems WRT cable resistance.