Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Viper Customs

There have been several older boats on the forum here done by them with the new vinyl It looks absolutely amazing.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
its pretty much all the same. hoping to get my buddies boat to Cals top shop in Ft. worth here this winter. i know they did TX river rats's 205 for half of the viper cost.
They're definitely not all the same. Asking your local dealer who they use is a good start. If you want to go all out and have everything redone in newer materials, I would look at viper. Here are a couple viper did:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52924
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=55312&page=2
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
*pretty much

in terms of looks. i wont recommend viper after how much it costs for one, and how everyone says how horrible their customer service is.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
*pretty much

in terms of looks. i wont recommend viper after how much it costs for one, and how everyone says how horrible their customer service is.
I haven't heard any complaints about the fit and finish for work done at viper. I have heard complaints about delays and lack of responsiveness. dvsone has them convert his 1 piece sundeck into 3 piece and has some issues with the fit, but he shipped his stuff to them and did not have the work done there. If I were getting my whole interior redone, I would bank on my boat being there for 2-3 months. Their prices are on the high side, but most of the time you get what you pay for. I had several quotes just for skins that were in the range of a whole viper interior. The time it takes to remove the interior and install the skins would make it worth it. I do almost everything I can myself, but that is something I would pay someone else to do.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Vinyl work can be time consuming. My office mate refinishes old Mustangs and he has done a lot of them. He is a freakazoid about getting everything original looking again and every single one of his cars has won top awards. He commented that he can rebuild an entire engine and tranny faster than he can do the interior seat work. So it is not a fast job to do.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I haven't heard any complaints about the fit and finish for work done at viper. I have heard complaints about delays and lack of responsiveness. dvsone has them convert his 1 piece sundeck into 3 piece and has some issues with the fit, but he shipped his stuff to them and did not have the work done there. If I were getting my whole interior redone, I would bank on my boat being there for 2-3 months. Their prices are on the high side, but most of the time you get what you pay for. I had several quotes just for skins that were in the range of a whole viper interior. The time it takes to remove the interior and install the skins would make it worth it. I do almost everything I can myself, but that is something I would pay someone else to do.
2-3 months is absurd! Removing the interior shouldn't take a whole day, re-installing it would take a bit longer than removing it. Separating the pieces from each skin, layout/cutting the new ones and sewing them together takes the most time. If they need to rebuild the foam, that would add to it but I doubt all of it would need this because not every seat/cushion is used equally. The only other thing that could cause this to take so long is availability of the material- if the manufacturer doesn't have it in stock and it's not available form a distributor, they have to wait- if it's out of stock, a small run would cost a fortune.

I don't know how large Viper is or how specialized their people are, but if it takes 2-3 months, I have to wonder why.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
People have had mixed results regarding customer service with viper. They did my boat, communication was good and I have no complaints. If I could have found a local shop I probably wouldn't have made the 300 mile trip (one way), but I have no regrets. First rate work!

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2004 MCX
I live in Ohio and was thinking about using Viper when I got new skins and didn't use them. I had a local auto interior ship install covers that I ordered direct from Mastercraft. It was a disaster. I really wish I would have gone with Viper now. I saved a couple hundred bucks, but my interior is not what I felt like it should be.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I had 100% of my interior done. My bid from Viper was out of this world. I interviewed a couple local guys and found one that did amazing work and could get the type of material and do all the things I wanted. I ended up saving over $2k. I paid $3400 for a complete interior (100%) in the new carbon fiber weave vinyl and embroidery for the logos and a full 2 piece snap on sunbrella cover. The quote from viper was near $6k. For the cover I needed to bring the boat from Chicago and that was an extra cost.

I would at least want to see a portfolio on what the local guy has done. If you see multi million dollar airplane interiors and show cars and boats in there then you probably found a good guy. If you find a guy in his garage that gives you a price too good to be true, it probably is.

Check out my album for a couple photos.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...hp?albumid=749
Old 10-25-2013, 09:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Piling on. The local dealer-recommended vinyl shop quoted $5K. That was not even an option. While floating between sets on day a friend commented "you know, my dad used to go to this shop ..." Ended up going to a small vinyl shop just north of Denver that specialized in custom cars. They did all-new vinyl, beefed-up much of the old foam, rebuilt my homemade bow filler, matched all the embroidery, looks awesome. Total $2600, and they were super excited to have a boat picture on their wall next to all the cars. Moral: its just vinyl and there are plenty of real craftsmen out there.