Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
One lag screw per mounting point, three mounts per bunk, total of three lag screws per bunk. The mounting points are pretty much same width as the 2x4, so each bunk is very tight and solid with no flopping or rattling around.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I just replaced all mine:
  1. Stainless steel carriage bolts though the wood. Drill in this order:
  2. Start with a small diameter pilot hole--say 1/8" all the way through the wood.
  3. Drill a countersink from the top using a 3/4" spade bit (or forstner if you're OCD like me) about 3/8" deep. Finish the hole using a bit the same diameter as the carriage bolts--I made the hole tight so that the wood would hold the bolt firmly.
  4. Stainless flat AND locking washers. Stainless steel nuts.
  5. Pressure Treated 2" x 4". While the wood doesn't stay in the water very long, the very nature of carpet is to hold water so your wood is in constant contact with moisture one your boat is back on the trailer.
  6. Double layer of carpet:
  • Layer one is only as wide as the top surface board--does NOT wrap around the sides, but does wrap around the ends.
    Layer two goes over layer one, and wraps around the sides and ends. Stainless steel staples, and lots of them.
For the first week or so after replacing, check the tightness of the nuts.

Last edited by Kweisner; 10-23-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Prostar and 08 X2
I have not seen anyone mention stainless steel staples. Normal steel staples holding the carpet will not last very long.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Prostar197 View Post
Bhanson....

Did you only have one lag screw at each mounting point or did yours have two lag screws? My boards are 2x4's with one carriage bolt.
I believe I had 2 lags per mounting point and all 4 bunks were 2 x 6's but its been a couple years. I can check if you need me too.
Also I didn't use stainless staples and they are holding up fine. Remember they are only wet for about 5 minutes when you put in and 5 minutes when you pull out. It summer and warm out so they dry quickly. I did use an air stapler gun not a hand handle.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtajpa View Post
Strad here are a few pics of how I did mine. Use stainless for sure. I did use PT wood.
Drilled a recess hole for the carriage bolt slightly undersized. Then I put 3M 5200 on the underside of bolt. Smack it in with a hammer and fill recess with more 5200. Put some masking tape over the 5200 so it doesn't get all over everything. Then put a first layer of carpet over the boards not over lapping. Then carpet wrap the bunks. The 5200 will take a week to set up so just tighten the bunks down snug. Then go back in a week and tighten again and double nut.
This is pretty much how I did mine. Great write up. Should be a sticky for how bunks should be done IMO.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnsx View Post
I have not seen anyone mention stainless steel staples. Normal steel staples holding the carpet will not last very long.
Monel staples are what you are supposed to use. I used stainless because I waited until the last minute to buy them and couldn't find the monel ones locally.

The worst part of the whole process for me was removing the old bunks. The carriage bolts would just spin when I tried to remove the nut. I had to chisel into the wood until I could get a wrench on the square part under the head of the carriage bolt to keep it from turning.

I replaced all of the hardware with stainless stuff from lowes. That was probably the most expensive part. I think it was around $50 for the hardware. I used pressure treated 2x6's and two layers of marine carpet from lowes as well.

I would recommend at least getting an electric staple gun. You can probably get one at harbor freight for $20. You don't want to put in a few hundred staples with a manual stapler.

I did not counter sink the heads of the carriage bolts. When you tighten them down, they bite into the wood and recess themselves enough. This is how the factory bunks were done.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Well I thought I would through bolt them until seeing how many here were lag screwed like mine. Seems like at least some were that way from the beginning Now I'm tempted to lag screw mine again. I like the idea of lag bolting but it is tempting to be able to prefab the whole thing and then just fit it down at the lake. Hmmm.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
Through bolts bother me in the sense that each time you tighten them it pulls it further through the board and as some have found even using stainless they tend to spin when you are trying to remove them.

Lags on the other hand you can tighten and know they are still gripping the board and much easier to change by lifting the hull slightly and sliding the board out say during the cold months

I have 2x4's on the 2010 trailer and would probably feel better using lags if it had 2 bolts per point as when 2x6's are used

So what size boards do most have and whether they are carriage or lags???
Old 10-24-2013, 02:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Well I thought I would through bolt them until seeing how many here were lag screwed like mine. Seems like at least some were that way from the beginning Now I'm tempted to lag screw mine again. I like the idea of lag bolting but it is tempting to be able to prefab the whole thing and then just fit it down at the lake. Hmmm.
Just use the stainless lags. I used regular on the front pad and they are already rusted. I will use through bolts this winter.

Using the 5200 will prevent the carriage bolts from ever turning. They also don't have to be real tight just snug then double nutted.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
I have helped hold too many lag bolted bunk boards on other peoples trailer for them while they loaded the boat. I love my through bolted boards.