Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
New 2003 X-30, plenty of Q's

I just picked up a new (to me) 2003 Mastercraft X-30 and have lots of questions that I haven't been able to find via the search. I sold my Malibu SunsetterLXi a couple seasons ago and have had to suffer with only a pontoon. Needless to say I'm glad to be back! Hopefully folks can point me in the right direction.

1) The blower is just laying in the engine compartment, so hoping someone can show me (pic?) where it use to be mounted. Also, its VERY noisy so if someone has a good recommendation on a replacement I would appreciate that as well.

2) Does anyone know the tweeter diameter for the original Clarion components? I want to replace them with Polk MM6501UM and the tweeter says it requires a 2" hole. I'm hope the originals are 2" or less. I've read the thread about using courtesy lights, but for a little more these seem like a good option.

3) I'd like to pitch the Clarion CDM double din head unit .. anyone have a good link to a double to single din they have used w/ success?

4) Gauges .. can I just replace the bezels? Source? Mine have some imperfections and it seems easier to just replace them.

5) The face of my tach is busted. I believe if I replace it, the new one will read zero?

6) General parts question .. found a couple of threads on where to get parts. Most said mymastercraft.com .. is there a contact number or email? I can't find it and a few of the parts I'm looking for are not on the website best I can tell. I see that Great Lakes Skipper comes up in lots of my searches also. Some other items I want to buy are tower knobs, nylon washers for the tower, rub rail splice cover, etc...

7) The dash has a clear plastic coating that is coming off and looks horrible. I was going to replace it and just wondered how much trouble that would be .. doesn't seem tough but anyone who has done it I would appreciate any info.

THANKS IN ADVANCE .. just trying to get some little cosmetic items addressed. The boat only has 225hrs and the interior is in really good shape (couple small places). Probably wait until spring to clean up the gel coat (minor fade). ~chad

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Chad - Here are some other places to find parts. That boat looks in great shape!

Inboardonline
MarinePartsSource
Skidim
Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
skidim.com is the most helpful I have found. I will do a free plug for them.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03x30 View Post
I just picked up a new (to me) 2003 Mastercraft X-30 and have lots of questions that I haven't been able to find via the search. I sold my Malibu SunsetterLXi a couple seasons ago and have had to suffer with only a pontoon. Needless to say I'm glad to be back! Hopefully folks can point me in the right direction.

1) The blower is just laying in the engine compartment, so hoping someone can show me (pic?) where it

7) The dash has a clear plastic coating that is coming off and looks horrible. I was going to replace it and just wondered how much trouble that would be .. doesn't seem tough but anyone who has done it I would appreciate any info.
1) My blower is mounted to the floor on the port side of the engine.

7) Each gauge has to be removed to replace that silver cover. It is tough to reach behind the dash, but you have to put your hand up there to hold the back of each screw that holds that silver dash piece in place. One you get that cover off just take out each gauge and then reinstall. I do not have a price of what a new one costs but I am interested in buying one as well.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp dawg View Post
1)
7) Each gauge has to be removed to replace that silver cover. It is tough to reach behind the dash, but you have to put your hand up there to hold the back of each screw that holds that silver dash piece in place. One you get that cover off just take out each gauge and then reinstall. I do not have a price of what a new one costs but I am interested in buying one as well.
Ugh .. I didn't know each of the allen screws had nuts on them. That's going to be a pain. The gauges aren't terrible. I thought rather than replacing the dash panel that I would use a carbon fiber vinyl decal (or something) on the face. It would be easy enough to trim with a razor.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
Those allen screws suck. Get someone to unscrew the allen screw while you lay under the dash and hold the backs of each screw. That's how I had to do it.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Chrome gauge bezels are available from Great Lakes skipper but not cheap! Might be better prices out there so definitely shop around. Replacing tach means hr meter will be off. You can verify hours off mefi if you sell down the road. Someone posted here a way to run the meter out of the boat to roll up the hours if you want them to match
Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Chrome gauge bezels are available from Great Lakes skipper but not cheap! Might be better prices out there so definitely shop around. Replacing tach means hr meter will be off. You can verify hours off mefi if you sell down the road. Someone posted here a way to run the meter out of the boat to roll up the hours if you want them to match
Yes, I can run up the hours to match the old tach; however the ECM was replaced recently (failed) so I want SOMETHING that has the right hours on it
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Gauges are not that bad, just takes time and patience (and a small ratchet wrench makes it much easier. I can help with that part (I have a 2003 so you can PM me). My blower is on the driver side screwed within the bilge near the motor mount - remove the rear motor locker gaurds for better accessiblity. I think you need 1" tweeter holes. The 2" is likely outside (trim) diameter. I kept the clarion head unit because I have wired front and rear remotes. Went to all JL (amp and speakers) and can't honestly think of a good reason to ditch the head unit until I have to. Ebay has the gauges from time to time - BUT - GAUGES CHANGED SOME INTERNAL COMPONENTS AROUND 2005. For that reason, gauges made after that - which will gnerally have the off white background, not the white, will not always work across all gauge functions. I would personally to be sure, check with several MC dealers about ordering those right. Rex and Rambo Marine is excellent for this and he told me about the gauges to prevent me from getting the wrong fuel gauge. Rex at Rambo isn't the cheapest out there, but his expertise is worth the difference in buying and shipping parts that are wrong for the boat - trust me! Nice looking boat.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Nice looking boat! You'll certainly enjoy that come Spring!