Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM
89mastercraft 89mastercraft is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 1989 Mastercraft prostar 190
Location: South east
Posts: 55
89 prostar 190.. winterization (need a pic please)

I hate to start a topic because there are already so many, but i don't fully understand this process..

I have a 89 prostar 190 and I have open the valves on both sides of the block... drained the water and I pulled the plugs from the manifolds and drained the water from both of them as well

I see people making custom buckets and hooking them up to what appears the water pump..

Why do you have to modify the bucket? Couldn't I just fill a bucket up with marine antifreeze and use a hose to suck it through?

Could someone PLEASE help me out and show me exactly which hose i need to undo to pump antifreeze through the whole engine?

Also i have already put my boat in the back yard.. far away from water for me to run a fake-a-lake to make the engine reach operating temperature, is this TOTALLY necessary?

I was going to buy about 4 gallons of antifreeze and just run it until it comes out the exhaust.

ANY pictures or help would be me much appreciated...

It's getting down to 30 here over the weekend and makes me nervous
__________________
89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM
TSchimizzi TSchimizzi is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
Location: Northeast
Posts: 72
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=57925

That should answer all your questions. I used 6 gallons.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,435
I may be in the minority but I do not run my engine to winterize. There is no water at my storage/winterizing location and I do not like having to 'trust' that the engine is warm enough for the thermostat to be open and allow antifreeze into the engine.

I drain the block and manifolds as you have (which alone should be enough), and then remove the thermostat housing and pour in RV antifreeze until it comes out of the block drains. RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) is more dense than water, so it should displace any water remaining in low spots within the block.
I then button it back up so that in the spring all I do is install a new impeller and drop the boat in the water. This method does require that I buy a $2 thermostat housing gasket every year.
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM
blackhawk's Avatar
blackhawk blackhawk is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Location: Virginia
Posts: 365
CruisinGA - I do my engine just like you except that I don't remove the thermostat housing. I just remove the large hose at the thermostat housing and then pour my antifreeze into that hose. The AF will then flow down through the engine water pump and fill up the block. On the two boats that I have the AF will eventually run out where the thermostat housing where I took off the hose. I wondered the first time that I did it, how the AF gets by the thermostat. But I found out that most thermostats have a bleeder hole which is meant to let any air pockets escape from the block. The antifreeze will eventually pass through this hole and out the housing. At that point you know the block is full.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:53 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 309
I unhooked the raw water intake hose after trans cooler, swiveled it up, and poured RV with a funnel. I used 3gal and it was not enough to to go through the exhaust out back. Block and exhaust are full though.

I would also disconnect hoses and loosen impeller cover to get more water out.
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
This method does require that I buy a $2 thermostat housing gasket every year.
Where are you getting it for $2? Triangle shape with 2 holes?
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 PM
89mastercraft 89mastercraft is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 1989 Mastercraft prostar 190
Location: South east
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchimizzi View Post
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=57925

That should answer all your questions. I used 6 gallons.
I checked that thread out and could not see well enough in the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I may be in the minority but I do not run my engine to winterize. There is no water at my storage/winterizing location and I do not like having to 'trust' that the engine is warm enough for the thermostat to be open and allow antifreeze into the engine.

I drain the block and manifolds as you have (which alone should be enough), and then remove the thermostat housing and pour in RV antifreeze until it comes out of the block drains. RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) is more dense than water, so it should displace any water remaining in low spots within the block.
I then button it back up so that in the spring all I do is install a new impeller and drop the boat in the water. This method does require that I buy a $2 thermostat housing gasket every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
CruisinGA - I do my engine just like you except that I don't remove the thermostat housing. I just remove the large hose at the thermostat housing and then pour my antifreeze into that hose. The AF will then flow down through the engine water pump and fill up the block. On the two boats that I have the AF will eventually run out where the thermostat housing where I took off the hose. I wondered the first time that I did it, how the AF gets by the thermostat. But I found out that most thermostats have a bleeder hole which is meant to let any air pockets escape from the block. The antifreeze will eventually pass through this hole and out the housing. At that point you know the block is full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
I unhooked the raw water intake hose after trans cooler, swiveled it up, and poured RV with a funnel. I used 3gal and it was not enough to to go through the exhaust out back. Block and exhaust are full though.

I would also disconnect hoses and loosen impeller cover to get more water out.
Could one of you guys be kind enough to show me a nice clear picture of which hose i need to undo and fill with antifreeze?? Also where is the thermostat?

I read something about unscrewing the knock sensor too...

This is my first boat.. I am mechanically inclined enough to do all of this I just don't know the specifics of my boat.. hence im looking for photo's

Thanks for your replies.. I appreciate them
__________________
89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
Where are you getting it for $2? Triangle shape with 2 holes?
Thermostat housing gaskets can be made from bulk gasket material. Buy a sheet and it will last quite a while and be cheaper than $2 per gasket.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mastercraft View Post
I checked that thread out and could not see well enough in the pictures







Could one of you guys be kind enough to show me a nice clear picture of which hose i need to undo and fill with antifreeze?? Also where is the thermostat?

I read something about unscrewing the knock sensor too...

This is my first boat.. I am mechanically inclined enough to do all of this I just don't know the specifics of my boat.. hence im looking for photo's

Thanks for your replies.. I appreciate them


My motor is an Indmar, not sure what yours is? Your boat is probably carbed and does not have a knock sensor like mine.

Thermostat is on top and personally would not remove it. Drain all water and let the impeller suck the RV through the motor.
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Thermostat housing gaskets can be made from bulk gasket material. Buy a sheet and it will last quite a while and be cheaper than $2 per gasket.
Got it, thanks.
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.