Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 prostar 190
Metal flake

I've gotten everything off the boat and taken to powder coat. Sanded the hull and repaired damaged fiberglass. Now I'm trying to decide how to do the paint. I would like ideas on how to do a 89 prostar 190. I'm thinking red metal flake from the water line to the rub rail which will be black. Leave the deck white but the bow metal flake. What do y'all think?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Sweet! Lets see some progress photos! Love the flake!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 PM
TT Regular

I'm trying to get pics up. Help!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 PM
TT Regular

Here are a few pics. The last is what I am considering doing.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 PM
TT Regular

Sorry here's the other
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM
TT Regular

And one more
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
I think metal flake is awesome. Was on a bunch of boats last weekend and metal flake stood out every time, in a very good way. Others have commented that it can take a beating on the dock, and certainly at some point it will look dated, but right now it just looks great. No bigger personal-preference decision than how to paint/gelcoat your boat. Some like plain white, some like gaudy wraps, your red metal flake is right down the middle and very classy, IMO.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
whatever you do, dont just slap on automotive paint. youre planning on re gelling right?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnhunt View Post
I've gotten everything off the boat and taken to powder coat. Sanded the hull and repaired damaged fiberglass. Now I'm trying to decide how to do the paint. I would like ideas on how to do a 89 prostar 190. I'm thinking red metal flake from the water line to the rub rail which will be black. Leave the deck white but the bow metal flake. What do y'all think?
These boats aren't painted, they're gel coated...a polyester resin that forms the first layer in the mold when the hull was laid up. No paint involved. If you've sanded away parts of the gel coat, you had better carefully research what you're going to replace that fundamental hull component with. Automotive paint just isn't going to do it. I would go talk to a boat fiberglass guy or body shop that does boats to get further advice before proceeding.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
X2 with Mac. You could be setting yourself up for some adhesion issues at minimum. From a resale perspective you'll pretty much be the last owner or at least the last one that knows anything about boats if you use automotive paint. Most boats painted like this have issues with the finish within a couple years.

I realize this is an older boat that you're most likely pulling this one back from the brink but I would seriously consider going with gelcoat or at least finding out what the cost difference would be to do it right. You've already done the hard work of the 80/20 (80% prep, 20% spray/buff) rule of refinishing. See if the cost difference of going with gel is a possibility.

As far as flake goes..... I'll bet it's going to cost a significant premium for the materials and if you scratch it matching the repair will be more difficult. It would look great though.