Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Going to be working on bunks this winter--a few questions

My bunks are fastened to the trailer with incorrect fasteners, several of which are loose/stripped. So my plan is to do one side at a time. Dump the boat off in the lake in the early morning, drive back to the house (not far) replace the bunk and do the carpet, then drive back and pick up the boat. Do the other bunk the next week. Since the boat is not going to be in a secured area, I need to have my ducks in a row and have the replacement go like clockwork. Which is where you guys come in lol.

I'm assuming stainless fasteners? my plan was to through bolt it -- bolt going down from the top (recessed in the wood) and a nut on the bottom. Then wrap the carpet over the top and staple it on on the bottom edges? My bunks are 11 feet 1 inch long, 2 x 6 wood. I see overtons sells carpet at 12 feet by 12 inches wide? That would work for the overlap right? And pressure treated wood? That's about all I can think of. I haven't done the recesses before -- don't have the drill bit for it either. What bit do I need? Plan was to use those bolts with the round head (I forget what they are called -- similar to lag bolts). and nuts and washers on the bottom side. Any other suggestions welcome.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I did mine a couple years ago. I bought the 2x6 cut them to length and wrapped with scrap carpet I got for free. I didn't through bolt because I was concerned if they ever became loose and I did t catch it they may scratch my hull. I brought all 4 bunks pre wrapped with carpet out the boat in the water and did the work in the parking lot. I clamped the new bunks in place piloted out the holes and put in stainless 5/16" x 1 1/4" lag bolts with lock washers. It's worked for me so far but I do check them every now and the. To make sure they are all tight.
Also I didn't use PT wood its never in the water long enough to matter.

Good luck it's not hard.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
You want carriage bolts, round top, through bolt, stainless for sure. No need for PT wood, just buy regular 2x6 boards. I bought my carpet from Home Depot. Also Lowe's carries it. Just get some grey or black outdoor carpet, available in 12' lengths, cut to whatever length you need, far cheaper than Overtons. Buy a decent staple gun, with stainless staples, glue not necessary. Google "recarpeting boat trailer bunks" and there is a site that will tell you the exact width you need for both 2x4's and 2x6's. You will find that it is pretty easy, just take your time. You should be able to do it all in 1 afternoon, no prob.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Strad here are a few pics of how I did mine. Use stainless for sure. I did use PT wood.
Drilled a recess hole for the carriage bolt slightly undersized. Then I put 3M 5200 on the underside of bolt. Smack it in with a hammer and fill recess with more 5200. Put some masking tape over the 5200 so it doesn't get all over everything. Then put a first layer of carpet over the boards not over lapping. Then carpet wrap the bunks. The 5200 will take a week to set up so just tighten the bunks down snug. Then go back in a week and tighten again and double nut.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
X2 with JMann. My 12 year-old trailer had lag screws from underneath, never had a problem, so I just kept it that way. Was able to pre-build my new bunks then install them in the parking lot. Measured my existing bunks, cut four 2x4s to length, and covered them with black carpet (same process as above). Then floated the boat, off with the old bunks, clamped new bunks in place, predrilled the underside, installed lag screws ... done in about 30 minutes.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
IMHO pressure treated is the way to go. That bunk carpet will stay wet for a long time under the boat before it dries out.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
What size staples?

I have this gun, will it do the job?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
If you have an air compressor, a pneumatic stapler is a great tool to have. I have the low budget Harbor Freight model and it does a great job. I think mine was on sale for $10.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
If you have an air compressor, a pneumatic stapler is a great tool to have. I have the low budget Harbor Freight model and it does a great job. I think mine was on sale for $10.
I have a pneumatic brad nailer that may also may take staples. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
Going to be working on bunks this winter--a few questions

Bhanson....

Did you only have one lag screw at each mounting point or did yours have two lag screws? My boards are 2x4's with one carriage bolt.