Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
mike... how did you make that bucket??
Cut a hole in the bottom side with a hole drill to fit a plastic PVC fitting that had a 1.25 O.D. - made the hole a bit smaller - added some heat and the shoved in the fitting. Applied some cheapo clear resin - doesn't stick well to that plastic bucket. then I bought some ribbed pool hose with an I.D. 1.25" and clamped it on.

under $20 all in.

Amazing how fast it drains when you give the throttle a little nudge forward. (neutral pin pulled of course)

I was a garden hose was ok kind of guy until - Tim Cant Repeat posted his video. the MC-OCD kicked in and I was compelled to make the bucket... then as a by product it was easy to run the RV Anti freeze into motor.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I was a garden hose was ok kind of guy until - Tim Cant Repeat posted his video. the MC-OCD kicked in and I was compelled to make the bucket... then as a by product it was easy to run the RV Anti freeze into motor.
Have a link to the vid? I found an old post but says vid has been removed.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
Have a link to the vid? I found an old post but says vid has been removed.
Vid has been removed awhile back... When I run mine - at idle the bucket can't keep up over time. As mentioned before - it's also very easy to add Rv Antifreeze when running in dry dock. Also lets me easily do a dry dock test before running to ski waters.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I used the bucket method this time too. I started with a full bucket of water and let the garden hose continue to flow. At idle, the water level slowly began to get lower and lower. It did take a good 7 or 8 minutes before it got down to about 1/3 full....all at idle speed.

So, giving a little throttle will suck that down even quicker!

1994 205, LT1
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X-25
Quote:
or... you could get a couple o' more gallons and make a bucket like mine...
Whoh this is a VERY COOL idea, I want to hookup a setup like this. I guess I'll find a way to rig on a garden hose connector to a bucket then I can suck up RV antifreeze easily into the engine.
QUESTION: What exactly is the Mastercraft 'ENGINE FLUSH KIT'. Is this the garden hose connector on the transom where you can hookup a hose to run the motor? If so, should I order my new boat with this option, so I can just connect a hose connected to a bucket of antifreeze, for an easy way to fill the motor/heater with antifreeze?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Perko flush pro makes it easy to run the motor anytime and winterize.
http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...re/product/62/
I do find I have to seal the hull intake with tape to get it to suck AF from a bucket.

I call the "MCODumb" of using a bucket because of a fear the volume of water the pump can move Dumb. Any flow of water will lubricate the pump to prevent wear and garden hose can flow plenty of water to prevent overheating from my experience. I run it up to speed, tune etc, watch the temp go up then go down as the thermostat opens.

Bucket is fine for AF delivery but Dumb for general running if due to fear of lack of water.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Perko flush pro makes it easy to run the motor anytime and winterize.
http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...re/product/62/
I do find I have to seal the hull intake with tape to get it to suck AF from a bucket.

I call the "MCODumb" of using a bucket because of a fear the volume of water the pump can move Dumb. Any flow of water will lubricate the pump to prevent wear and garden hose can flow plenty of water to prevent overheating from my experience. I run it up to speed, tune etc, watch the temp go up then go down as the thermostat opens.

Bucket is fine for AF delivery but Dumb for general running if due to fear of lack of water.
Never sent a flame at someone who disagreed. 5 gallon bucked can't keep up at idle. Hey's it's your engine... Do what you want.. not MCOCD post never implied not doing it was dumb.

mike
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Never sent a flame at someone who disagreed. 5 gallon bucked can't keep up at idle. Hey's it's your engine... Do what you want.. not MCOCD post never implied not doing it was dumb.

mike
The comment was not directed at any one person, simply the idea that an engine out of the water needs the full flow of raw water provided by the pump.
If an individual has so much pride in an unfounded idea they cant read my original statement for what it was then that may qualify them as dumb.

I will accept the FACT that the raw water pump CAN flow an extremely high volume of water. It is designed so high for worst case scenario and still have capacity to spare. Heavy load, hot tropical water, worn parts, etc.
I also contend any standard marine engine does not need this full volume for cooling.
If it did, the much lower volume of a hose would result in scalding hot water or pure steam from the exhaust. Neither of which happens. After heavy running on a hose, water from the exhaust will still be only warm to the touch at approx. 110-120 degrees. Risers are hot but no hotter than if one touches them after running on the water. The brass pump housing is cool to the touch so the is no rubber friction there.

Even WOT on the trailer, the engine is not under load thus not burning max fuel or producing the heat. Also, tap water is usually 50-75 degrees and thus has greater heat absorption than worst case tropics.

A person can change their oil every 20 hours, new impeller once a month or dump buckets of water. That is fine, none will damage the engine but all are a waste of time, money and resources for what a standard production engine requires for a long, happy life. A person can laugh it off as MCOD, I just laugh.

Be very clear, I think the idea of a bucket hooked to the raw water has advantages over a "fake a lake" or Flush but all have their tradeoffs.
The idea that an engine needs as much water flow as the raw water pump can provide is flawed and dumb in my opinion from experience and qualitatively.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X-25
Clearly I'm not an expert at this, hence I do not understand the lingo. What is MCODumb and DUMB in reference to the past two comments/posts?
I understand that you do not want to run the motor dry w/o water as it will overheat, I get that. I do not want to fill water in the motor to begin with, I am looking at winterizing hence I will first drain as much water as I can, then fill 5-6 gal of RV AF via this bucket method.
Do I need to splice this Perko Flush Pro valve permanently into the water lines/plumbing of my boat, or connect it only when im doing the flush? Anyone know how thick those hoses are on a late model x25? So if I'm not mistaken, this Perko Flush Pro is the same gizmo that M/c installs in their boats as the 'engine flush kit'?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Whoh this is a VERY COOL idea, I want to hookup a setup like this. I guess I'll find a way to rig on a garden hose connector to a bucket then I can suck up RV antifreeze easily into the engine.
QUESTION: What exactly is the Mastercraft 'ENGINE FLUSH KIT'. Is this the garden hose connector on the transom where you can hookup a hose to run the motor? If so, should I order my new boat with this option, so I can just connect a hose connected to a bucket of antifreeze, for an easy way to fill the motor/heater with antifreeze?
You don't need to tap into the bottom of the bucket. I have a short section of hose with a valve on top where I hook up the garden hose attached to the side of the tub I use with two screws at the top. I also have intake hose that is attached to the supply hose with zip ties. When not in use for running in the driveway, the tub holds all the odd assorted boat supplid I like to keep handy.
Attached Images

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com