Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, '83 S&S Powerslot, Red Metalflake!
VERY cool boat! I hope someone can help you out with more history on this beauty. There must be someone on here that skied there in 82-83 that could help!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars & Stripes
The meter shows just over 1100 hours.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Man, I cant see much about this thing that makes it a "project boat". Looks pretty nice to me! A heck of a lot nicer than some of my daily drivers, ha. Very cool boat with a very cool heritage. Big block Mopar, nice!

Personally, I'd put some ATF in the cylinders and let it sit for a few weeks. Then spin it over by hand, nice and easy. Throw a fresh tune up at it, change the fluids... and then get it running. If you can get it on the water and moving under its own power, that will tell you a LOT about what the boat needs. It will tell you what it doesnt need right away as well! There are way too many things that are just unknown regarding the powertrain (from carb to prop) that you just cant verify without putting a load on it. A quick water test will direct your wallet as to what gives you the best bang for your buck.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
TT Regular

I hear you...calling this a restoration is probably a bit insulting to all of those here who created real restoration threads. I'll see if I can change it to Refurbishment.

Like the idea of trying to get it running myself, and I still might, but if I do go that route I think I'd probably want to wait until spring. The thought of sucking a bunch of fresh water into it now and winterizing again is the sort of thing that I know will keep me up at night all winter long. I still have visions of a friends of 454 with a hole in the side of the block because he didn't do it right and I've only successfully winterized running engines in the past. My thought is that if I take it to a pro (which I'm not) now I'll possibly have a reliable runner come spring. If I wait until next year to do it myself I'm going to have to deal with breakdowns, troubleshooting etc...not fun with a disappointed wife and kids along for the ride. Previous owner thought it might need some valve work anyway. Leaning towards the pro option.

Here’s a few pics of stuff I need to "refurbish". Don't know how to comment on pics but they're pretty self explanatory.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
TT Regular

Much of the seat plywood is dryrotted...so I'll have to replace. Skins aren't too bad except for a few poped seams and a lot of discoloration. If there's a way to make them white again, or at least close, I'll probably reuse them. A little concerned about removing the rusty steel prop nut...stripped my driveshaft threads doing that once. Also going to need to learn how to gelcoat, especially over the sparkle. Sure there's plenty of threads here on that.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
TT Regular

Here's a pic of ash flat diesel's boat. Anybody know what the metal strip is for in the middle of the windshield? Mine has four screws in the frame so it must have been the same way. Don't know why I'd put it back unless it serves some purpose, or to keep it authentic.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Must be obscure. I've seen a bunch of s and s boats going back many years, and that is the first time I've seen that. Mine never had it.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Never seen that before either. Could be the folks at CG were a little hard on their equipment and needed some support.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Here's a pic of ash flat diesel's boat. Anybody know what the metal strip is for in the middle of the windshield? Mine has four screws in the frame so it must have been the same way. Don't know why I'd put it back unless it serves some purpose, or to keep it authentic.
It doesn't look like there is a strip in this pic from '83. Hey, is that your boat?
http://www.yesterland.com/cypressgardens.html
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
It looks like there is a bar on the boat in this pic:

http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/92587