Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,374
Just did mine, ran the engine until 160 degrees then drained block and manifolds.

Added 5 gals of purple West Marine anti-freeze and it came out purple at the exhaust.

3 gals is not enough IMHO.
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 292
The big question is should I be concerned? I'm certain the engine is protected.

Should I care about water in mufflers?
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM
blackhawk's Avatar
blackhawk blackhawk is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Location: Virginia
Posts: 338
After I completely drained water from everything, including taking the hoses loose and emptying them, I drove around the block to shake out any leftover water. Then I just poured antifreeze in mine without running it. First, I filled up the discharge hose from the raw water impeller, so that the impeller would be full of AF. I then took the large hose loose from the thermostat housing and poured about 2-3/4 gallons into the hose. That is the point that it ran out of the thermostat housing, so you know that the block is filled. On my MCX the hoses that go to the exhaust manifolds are above the large hose on the thermostat housing, so I didn't get any AF in there. I tried to take off those hoses to put some AF in there, but they would not budge. I would have needed to cut them loose. But, I know that the exhaust manifolds are drained of water because it gushed out full stream when I drained them. It would be nice to have some AF in there for corrosion protection, but I hated to cut the hoses.

Bochnak - Take loose your large hose at the thermostat housing if AF runs out, you should be good. If not, pour some AF in the hose until it comes out the housing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Bochnak - Take loose your large hose at the thermostat housing if AF runs out, you should be good. If not, pour some AF in the hose until it comes out the housing.
I pulled the temp sending unit out of manifold for testing and RV gushed out. I also pulled one exhaust plug since I was wondering where all 3 gallons went. RV came out as well.

So, right now I know the block is full and so is one side of exhaust.

The concern I have is that water is sitting in the mufflers. I don't think it will be an issue since it is 3-4" diameter and mostly empty at this point.
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 10,400
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
I pulled the temp sending unit out of manifold for testing and RV gushed out. I also pulled one exhaust plug since I was wondering where all 3 gallons went. RV came out as well.

So, right now I know the block is full and so is one side of exhaust.

The concern I have is that water is sitting in the mufflers. I don't think it will be an issue since it is 3-4" diameter and mostly empty at this point.
Put the wheels back on the trailer and take it for a ride up a steep hill
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Put the wheels back on the trailer and take it for a ride up a steep hill
Ha! It took 3 of us to push it into the garage up there! I'll jack it up as high as it will go and call it a day.
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 10,400
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
or... you could get a couple o' more gallons and make a bucket like mine...
Attached Images
 
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM
bsloop bsloop is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Location: Perry Lake, KS Lake of Ozarks
Posts: 548
OP answer - it will usually take 4-5 gal to have it spiting out the exhaust.
You did fail to run it up to temp before adding the AF but it appears the solution got everywhere it needed to for a standard raw water cooled motor.

Put her to bed and dream of Spring......
__________________
1991 MariStar 240sc, 454, tower, WetSounds, Krypt and Rockford Fosgate
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
bochnak bochnak is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Location: Mount Prospect,IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
OP answer - it will usually take 4-5 gal to have it spiting out the exhaust.
You did fail to run it up to temp before adding the AF but it appears the solution got everywhere it needed to for a standard raw water cooled motor.

Put her to bed and dream of Spring......
Thanks. I don't see how running it up to temp will help distribution of fluid. The cold RV fluid will eventually close the t-stat. Also, I had the t-stat housing off and there is a bypass hole which dumps in intake and exhaust manifolds. The RV fluids that gushed out when I pulled the temp sending unit kind of proves this theory.

I'll take your advice and dream of spring
__________________
-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM
willyt's Avatar
willyt willyt is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: ER xstar
Location: high in the middle and round on both ends
Posts: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
or... you could get a couple o' more gallons and make a bucket like mine...
mike... how did you make that bucket??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.