Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
10/8/2013 update: Pic of finished pad and my little buddy getting it muddy!

Here is a quick pic of the finished concrete pad or as I like to refer to it, Josh's newest playground. My son has taken to it quite nicely and is doing his best to keep it covered in mud, but at least he knows to wash off his toys when he is done!
We poured a small curb around the corner drain area we had placed in the garage to use as a general wash-off area....from the looks of my son maybe I should have installed a shower there as well!

Next up, the brick walkway to the front door. Anyone have any tips on what the best product to use for a solid leveling base that will set up pretty good. I plan to use gator dust in between the bricks (a polymer based sand that hardens a bit when you get it wet...just make sure you get it off of the surface before it dries).
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
What's a swayle?

Those are some fancy words you using.
This- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtKUyfkBA2w
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM
MC Devotee

10/21/2013: Grass is coming in nicely and time to split firewood!

Well, the weather around here has turned colder, the boat is winterized, the grass is growing in and so it is time to turn our attention to splitting some firewood! Naturally we still have some mud which Josh always manages to find and play in but when he is not doing that he is a great helper!

Due to the rain we have been having I have not yet tackled the brick walkway but that is slated for this week. After that it is time for more firewood splitting and then the interior project begin......Basement finishing time!!!

We are approaching the anniversary of the day we signed the bank papers to build, November 29th, which just so happens to be my wedding anniversary as well.......YES, that was my anniversary gift to my wife last year and I am pretty much screwed as I have no good way of topping that! Hard to believe that on December 1st it will be one year from when we dug the foundation....good times!
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2013, 12:06 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
For anyone who may be considering going the cable railing route and better yet for those who suffered from stick shock when pricing it out like I did, I have found a more affordable supplier. After doing an extensive search, I cable across a company by the name of VistaView Cabletec and after talking to Paul (I believe the owner), I ended up ordering their products to complete my deck.
Ha! I got the sticker shock last year and postponed re-doing our railing. Now I'm looking at it again. I'll definitely be contacting VistaView, thanks for the info. A couple questions:

I see you only ran 7 cable runs. How high is your rail, 36"? My existing railing is 42" which I think may be required by our local code. And what is your cable spacing? The research I've done so far looks like 3" minimum spacing is required. If I can go wider than that, I would. With 3" spacing and 42" high rail, I'm looking at 13 runs .

I just finished reading through this thread. Great job!

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 AM
MC Devotee

My railing height is 38 inches at the top and local code says 36" is the minimum height. That being said, I added a 2x4 in end under my top rail to add rigidity and support, which lessened my over all space to closer to 34 inches. Code in my area says that the spacing has to prevent a 4 inch sphere (a childs head) from passing thru. I am right at right at 4-4.25 inches running 7 lines (ends up creating 8 individual spaces) but I was not worried about any inspections, etc.. If you think you will be inspected I would run the extra lines but I have seen a lot of projects where guys only ran 5 lines, which to me is just asking for trouble. The biggest thing you will run into from a code standpoint even if you go with 3" spacing, is that you have to get the taught enough that some can not pull them apart more than 3 inches. The best way to overcome this is to use more intermediate posts. Again, I minimized my post placement and still got mine nice and taught but I could not say with confidence that I would pass an inspection, however, my son is also not getting thru, believe me, he has tested it!
Hope this helps and feel free to give me a call if I can help.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
How bout some more grass shots for us turf nuts. So have you mowed that new grass with the new mower yet?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM
MC Devotee

Will get some grass shots today so that I have something to remember it by before the snow starts flying! I have not yet mowed it as I really want it to establish and take hold before I start rolling over it. It has grown but I would say that only parts of it truly "need" to be mowed and with all of the rain we have had lately, my ground is very slippery so I would make a mess.
I have been using the mower at my other house (yes, it still has not sold however we do have a buyer and are "supposed" to close on December 10th) and to mow the rough cut grass that used to be fields and it is awesome.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
I see, no sense mowing if it isn't ready...especially if the ground is too wet. I always mow as soon as possible without causing major damage, as grass really kicks into gear in regards to lateral growth when you start mowing and establish a mowing height.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM
MC Devotee

Time to start the Basement!!!!

Well, I finally sold the old house and quite frankly, after having been in overdrive for the past year I am pretty bored so I decided to go ahead an start the finished basement! So, I got all of the studs on Saturday and as of last night had half of them up with plans to finish the rest of them by Friday night so that I can start electrical next week.
It's not a huge job as I am just creating an office, a gym, a bathroom and a mud room with the remainder of the space being a large family room. All total I will only have about 180 2x4s going up.

I will post some pics for anyone interested. Expected completion will be dependent upon how much snow we get to pay for this project and of course how much time we spend playing on the sleds when it does snow!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Well, I finally sold the old house and quite frankly, after having been in overdrive for the past year I am pretty bored so I decided to go ahead an start the finished basement! So, I got all of the studs on Saturday and as of last night had half of them up with plans to finish the rest of them by Friday night so that I can start electrical next week.
It's not a huge job as I am just creating an office, a gym, a bathroom and a mud room with the remainder of the space being a large family room. All total I will only have about 180 2x4s going up.

I will post some pics for anyone interested. Expected completion will be dependent upon how much snow we get to pay for this project and of course how much time we spend playing on the sleds when it does snow!
Post them up!! No Ice Skating yet??

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams