Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Removing motorbox/floor tips

What is the easiest way to remove motorbox and rear floor section?

It seems that motorbox needs to be propped up slightly and you need tools from both sides. Is it easier to remove hardware from motorbox or floor side of hinge?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Easiest on my 205 was/is to remove struts, remove screws from floor section - pop up floor at stern and fold up. Then you can lift the dog house easily.

What I do now is remove the cup holders remove the screws the motor box from deck hinge. remove dog house and then remove floor panel.

Having the 2 pieces make it easier to handle as well IMO
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
What is the easiest way to remove motorbox and rear floor section?

It seems that motorbox needs to be propped up slightly and you need tools from both sides. Is it easier to remove hardware from motorbox or floor side of hinge?
I agree with Mike- it is easy to handle if the floor section remains attached to the cover and it also avoids damaging the honeycomb material or losing the nuts/washers. You'll probably find it easiest to release the shocks, tilt the cover back (DON'T let it fall back), lift gently on the front edge of the floor section and pull forward as you lift, so it clears the rear of the engine/transmission. Once the floor clears the bottom of the seat, you can lift it out or lay it on the rear pad, upside down. You can buy moving blankets from U-Haul or Harbor Freight to avoid damage/dirt on the vinyl padding.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Thanks guys. I was about to start pulling hardware from hinges at 10:30pm in low light and few cold ones deep. I'm glad I asked.