Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 11-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
From what I understand, the T fitting is designed so you can attach a hose and pour the antifreeze in while filling the ballast.

I have an '08 X14. When I tried to winterize by filling through the ballast vent it didn't work. I poured in over 4 gallons of antifreeze and it never came out through the hull. I gave up and disconnected the hose from the through hull fitting and poured the antifreeze in while filling the tank. I reconnected and hit empty, and it then started pumping. I don't know if the pump loses it's prime or what was going on.....

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
john, i went thru the overflow's like you attempted. nothing came out as per the instructions. i then towed the boat around for about a mile and when i got back to the storage attempted it again and it worked.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
My boat is a 2006 Maristar 200 SS. I went out and looked at my ballast setup today after reading about the 2007 and 2008 ballasts filling and emptying using the same pump. I'm hoping someone can help me understand how the ballast pump empty/fill works on my boat. Are there two pumps for each tank? On my boat there is a pick up on the bottom of the boat. After it enters the boat there is a ball valve/shut off. About a foot after this there is a white filter-I didn't see anyway to hook up a hose to this for winterizing like I expected from reading in this thread. After the filter the line runs to the transom and into a manifold that has the one input and three out puts. After this it gets a little sketchy. I can see one of the output lines runs to a pump under the rear seat. I assume this is a fill pump. Since the ballast empty out of the side of the boat I'm guessing there must be another pump that empties the tank somewhere else. Is this correct?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X15
There is one pump for each tank. The pumps operate in both directions. I was able to connect a hose to the T fitting which is located on the transom of the boat near the "manifold" that rgardjr1 is referring to. I hooked the hose up and put the other end in the antifreeze bottle and hit the fill switch for each tank one at a time. Worked well for me but I think the threads on the T fitting are different than the threads on the hose. Never the less I made it work.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Brining this thread back up.

On my 2006 X2, there is one water intake on the bottom for the ballast. It then goes through a hose, to a check valve, and then to the distribution manifold.

All 3 pumps draw from the distribution manifold, and when the tanks are full they overflow through each vent hole for each tank.

When you drain the tanks, the pumps pull water from each tank back to the distribution manifold. The distribution manifold has its own 2 drain lines (1 on each side back of the boat) that allows all 3 tanks to drains their water from.

So for winterization, you either have to suck in RTV antifreee into the manifold, or disconnect the line at the check valve to drain the water, otherwise the water will be stuck inside.

Am I correct?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Just an update...

On the 06 X2, really the only easy to winterize the ballast is buy 3 gallons of anti freeze.

To the left of the distribution manifold there is a T with screw off top.

With 1 pump running on "fill" at a time, I dumped 1 gal per pump into the T and let each pump suck 1 gallon into each respective ballast tank.

I then closed the T, and emptied each pump, pushing out the coolant. Seems to work OK.