Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I too love the look of the teak and fought it for several years. I would sand (lightly) and oil only to be dissapointed in the results a month or two after refinishing.

This year I took the time and effort to refinish my platform (properly) to a like new finish. All it will take this winter is a quick 5 minutes to sand the scratches from boards and a coat or two of oil to bring it back to that like new look.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I'm ok with the maintenance, I'm getting tired of the dogs paws getting stuck.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
I'm ok with the maintenance, I'm getting tired of the dogs paws getting stuck.
How is this happening? If you let the teak oil dry thoroughly between coats it shouldn't be sticky. Now if it were sticky enough to remove bikini bottoms.......

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 10-18-2013, 04:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I would imagine in between the wood slats...
Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I've had both and couldn't get rid of the fiberglass fast enough. Mine was black and quickly scratched, was hot in the sun when you sat on it and the pad on mine (03 X2) would track black from the pad into the boat which was a PITA to clean. Also if you ever do bump into something get ready for the repair bill.

This is my second year doing the quarter car wash method of Teak cleaning and I'm sold on it. I take just the platform to the car wash and set it on wash with soap. Start at one end and work your way to the other. Hit the edges and the bottom if you're OCD. Set the car wash to rinse and repeat the above. That's it for cleaning. No chemicals, no gloves, no sweat. I let it dry for a week then hit it with the vibrator sander with fairly quick passes using 80 then 180. Apply oil and I'm done. I have 2 hours tops into cleaning and refinishing my platform and probably $10 in car wash, sand paper and Teak Oil. For that amount of effort and cost I'll stick with my teak.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
I would imagine in between the wood slats...
Yup. In the slats (or the gaps between slats).
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I've had both and couldn't get rid of the fiberglass fast enough. Mine was black and quickly scratched, was hot in the sun when you sat on it and the pad on mine (03 X2) would track black from the pad into the boat which was a PITA to clean. Also if you ever do bump into something get ready for the repair bill.

This is my second year doing the quarter car wash method of Teak cleaning and I'm sold on it. I take just the platform to the car wash and set it on wash with soap. Start at one end and work your way to the other. Hit the edges and the bottom if you're OCD. Set the car wash to rinse and repeat the above. That's it for cleaning. No chemicals, no gloves, no sweat. I let it dry for a week then hit it with the vibrator sander with fairly quick passes using 80 then 180. Apply oil and I'm done. I have 2 hours tops into cleaning and refinishing my platform and probably $10 in car wash, sand paper and Teak Oil. For that amount of effort and cost I'll stick with my teak.
I'm going to have to try that in the spring. Its been a labor of love every time until now.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Short of the occasional (every 5 years or so) strip down plus several coats of oil, teak maintenance is about a 15 minute job once per year for me. Rub some oil on it and let it dry. Scratches on the glass platform are a bit more time consuming to get back to perfect.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Short of the occasional (every 5 years or so) strip down plus several coats of oil, teak maintenance is about a 15 minute job once per year for me. Rub some oil on it and let it dry. Scratches on the glass platform are a bit more time consuming to get back to perfect.
X2.

Maybe 30 min of 'maint' on our teak deck every year. It's a good 'one-handed' winter garage project. (Keeps a hand free for 12 oz curls)