Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Maristar 200
How to adjust valves/lash

I have a 95 Maristar – Indmar Motor – 500 hours. I will be reinstalling the heads this weekend due to a blown head gasket. Heads were magnafluxed and check out OK. Regarding valve adjustment I have done this a few times in the past on automotive applications but I want to make sure I get it right. Everyone I talk to and everything I read states something different; running, not running, warm, cold, ½ turn, full turn, this order, that order, etc….

What is the best way to adjust the valves/lash on this motor?

If I need to warm up the motor first do I need to be concerned with adjusting anything prior to firing the motor; i.e. am I going to break anything or bend a valve since nothing has been set yet?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2bskiing View Post
I have a 95 Maristar – Indmar Motor – 500 hours. I will be reinstalling the heads this weekend due to a blown head gasket. Heads were magnafluxed and check out OK. Regarding valve adjustment I have done this a few times in the past on automotive applications but I want to make sure I get it right. Everyone I talk to and everything I read states something different; running, not running, warm, cold, ½ turn, full turn, this order, that order, etc….

What is the best way to adjust the valves/lash on this motor?

If I need to warm up the motor first do I need to be concerned with adjusting anything prior to firing the motor; i.e. am I going to break anything or bend a valve since nothing has been set yet?

Thanks in advance for any help.
If you have access to a GM manual, use that- there's no difference between this and auto application.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
When I did my '94 TBI I followed the Clymers manual. It calls for one full turn after the lash is gone. When I tried researching via google I think most places suggested 1/2 turn for a chevy small block, so I'm not sure what is really the best amount. I did not have the engine warm and don't remember if that was mentioned in the manual.

First, you turn the engine by hand to get the #1 cylinder at top dead center of the compression stroke. At that point, you adjust half of the valves. Then you set the #6 cylinder to top dead center and adjust the remaining valves. The manual tells you the order of the valves to adjust.

Like JimN said, a GM manual likely has the same procedure as the Clymers manual does.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
I use to do mine when it is running. Just search youtube it's easy