Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190 Sammy Duvall
Ive been dealing with the same issue for 7 years. If your issue is the same as mine (and it looks the same to me) they will get worse every year. I now have blisters covering the entire bottom of my boat.
If i could do it over again id have it barrier coated (interlux 2000) and bottom painted. Sure it would hurt the resale, but im guessing it'll be hard to sell the boat at all with my extensive blistering.
Or, just get a lift or trailer. Too much current and level change for my location. The hydro hoist lift guys said no way to my application.
All this being said, i havs done much research, and this 'acne blistering' is cosmetic as far as most of the boating community is concerned. Most of the information you will find on the net is related to MUCH larger blisters, like 2" and ofter 6" in size, obviously that is a serious problem. Alot of people are misinformed because of this.
Now for skiing, the acne blistering we have could perhaps affect the wake, weight, top end etc.... but in such small numbers, i cant imagine it will affect anyone who will ever ski behind my boat. If wade cox is your skiing partner, send em over to see if he can tell the diff
My ride is an 01 prostar, ive tried numerous times to get MC to help on the warranty, but no go. If you have better luck, PLEASE let me know! I have gotten two quotes, MC directed me to Rambo Marine in the south. I sent pictures (its a 20 hour drive) and was budgeted 8000. No local dealers here would take it on, but i found a yacht repair place that gave me a 6500 estimate. Keep in mind this was for an entire bottom peel, re-gel, barrier coat, and bottom paint. Boat was only 4 years old at that time.

Feel free to pm me if youd like,
Dave
Old 10-16-2013, 11:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by agua4fun View Post
Ive been dealing with the same issue for 7 years. If your issue is the same as mine (and it looks the same to me) they will get worse every year. I now have blisters covering the entire bottom of my boat.
If i could do it over again id have it barrier coated (interlux 2000) and bottom painted. Sure it would hurt the resale, but im guessing it'll be hard to sell the boat at all with my extensive blistering.
Or, just get a lift or trailer. Too much current and level change for my location. The hydro hoist lift guys said no way to my application.
All this being said, i havs done much research, and this 'acne blistering' is cosmetic as far as most of the boating community is concerned. Most of the information you will find on the net is related to MUCH larger blisters, like 2" and ofter 6" in size, obviously that is a serious problem. Alot of people are misinformed because of this.
Now for skiing, the acne blistering we have could perhaps affect the wake, weight, top end etc.... but in such small numbers, i cant imagine it will affect anyone who will ever ski behind my boat. If wade cox is your skiing partner, send em over to see if he can tell the diff
My ride is an 01 prostar, ive tried numerous times to get MC to help on the warranty, but no go. If you have better luck, PLEASE let me know! I have gotten two quotes, MC directed me to Rambo Marine in the south. I sent pictures (its a 20 hour drive) and was budgeted 8000. No local dealers here would take it on, but i found a yacht repair place that gave me a 6500 estimate. Keep in mind this was for an entire bottom peel, re-gel, barrier coat, and bottom paint. Boat was only 4 years old at that time.

Feel free to pm me if youd like,
Dave
A guy here in TN does good restoration glass work. For example, I recently saw a boat on his yard that he was stripping the gel and re-spraying an entire new color scheme.

I'd say he would rework the bottom of your hull.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
My boss has a 32' Bayliner that he leaves in the water all the time and he had blisters and got them all sanded out. He had to let the hull dry out for a couple months or so before sealing and applying bottom paint. A shop in Nashville did the work but I have no idea what they charged him.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
My boss has a 32' Bayliner that he leaves in the water all the time and he had blisters and got them all sanded out. He had to let the hull dry out for a couple months or so before sealing and applying bottom paint. A shop in Nashville did the work but I have no idea what they charged him.
Do Searays have this problem?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Those high quality boats...I doubt it

I had one place get back to me who would sand, epoxy fill the blister then interlux 2000 epoxy barrier and epoxy paint the bottom for just shy of $3,500. Guy told me he has seen this kind of blistering a lot especially over the last decade. I have also reached out to Mastercraft so will wait and see what comes of that.

I cringe to think what it will cost to have it re-gel
Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Funny you ask. I believe SR offers a lifetime gel coat warranty but I am not sure what all is covered in that warranty. They were about the only boat company that I know of that has any warranty like that. Sea Ray is owned by Brunswick and after the economy crashed things really changed for that company including Sea Ray. Their quality is pretty good although not that impressive compared with other brands.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
A lot of info in this thread. The topic has come up many times in the past. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=20133

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
A lot of info in this thread. The topic has come up many times in the past. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=20133
Thanks John, interesting that all of these boats are 2001's....

I haven't been able to talk to anyone about cost for doing gelcoat but had a good conversation with a fibreglass repair guy today about benefits of the bottom paint, even sent me some pictures of before and after where is was really difficult to determine the line between gel and paint.

When I decide on what to do I will try and document it as much as possible here for the next guy! I am really torn between painting, selling as is and leaving it but limited water exposure. Painting seems like the best option at the moment since I want to keep my boat for quite a while, I'm not overly convinced it will kill the resale value up here as I saw a 2001 prostar with black paint on bottom of white hull that sold for over 18K.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
19 skier - bottom paint has a bad rep mostly due to that blue grey junk they spray on boats that sit and get barnacles and algae growth.

Nothing saying it cannot be done in an attractive manner.