Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-07-2013, 06:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Bullet vs JL on tower

I was wondering what the general consensus would be out there regarding tower speakers on a 2008 X2...
Would you rather have 2 Bullet 770 Hollow Point HLCD on the tower OR 4 JL Audio M770 component speakers.
Let's assume that both scenarios are properly amplified to get the most out of each setup.
Let's also assume that we are impartial to whether we achieve LOUD vs QUALITY....we're happy somewhere in the middle. Which way would you go?

Last edited by imyourmaster; 10-07-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added boat year and model
Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
The Bullets will produce louder upper mid to high sound at very good sound quality (requires 1 amplifier at 250wrms/ch). The JL's driver makes really good and more midbass sound, but the uppermids and highs would be washed out by the bullets HLCD. The JL's require 150wrms each x 4 speakers.

I have run the Bullets for at least 4 seasons now. I like them for a few reasons;
- they fit in the original cans, so I maintain a factory look and forward tower lights.
- I only need 2 on the tower so I am not banging my head on speakers all day
- 2 speakers dont put that much weight on the tower which is nice when the water is really rough.
- They are really loud and clear

Wish they provided more midbass, but they are not 10's - I would have to wear a helmet in my boat if I had Rev10's on the tower
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Do you primarily wake-board or surf/party-cove? Both speakers can be plenty loud, but each is better suited for specific task. The HLCD will give you a narrower cone of dispersion, where as the Coaxial/component speaker will be a wider cone of dispersion.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Craig3972, I never considered the weight issue...and I agree with maintaining the factory look. Thanks for your feedback.

MLA, we use the boat for both wake boarding and surfing. I'm wondering though if four JLs on the tower would project as well as 2 Bullets...assuming both setups are properly amplified.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
How do you think it would sound if you had 2 JLs and 2 Bullets?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Don't waste your money on either buy real tower speakers wet sounds, exile, audio formz something along those lines no point to spend good money on poor sounding gear...IMO
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
A mix of different speakers (one pair conventional and one pair HLCD) is a bad idea. There is a difference in both power handling and output level. So one is going to be under-performing in order to protect the other...or...one is going to dominate the other so that the subordinate speaker is hardly heard. You have to make a decision based on your habits and priorities thereby making and accepting a compromise in some other area.
The JL Audio M770 holds an advantage in near field listening. Warmer. Smoother. Good midbass. The perfect SQ 'at rest' speaker. Plenty of output and projection at surf range. Not enough peak output for projection at wake range, even with four, unless you have an FAE system.
The Bullet HollowPoint is one of the warmer and smoother HLCDs, but it's still an aggressively voiced HLCD, so it places more emphasis on output and projection.
At wake range, comparing one pair of Bullet HollowPoint HLCDs to two pair of JL Audio M770s, slightly favors the two pair M770s in the lower spectrum. Yet one pair of HP 770 HLCDs will deliver a bit more peak output (upper mid/treble) cutting through the noise and distance. Either 7.7" scenario is the minimum required at wake range and pulling without over-driving the speakers.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
If you are thinking 4 M770 why would you not go 4 Bullets? IF you are concerned about the sound projection at wakeboarding lengths behind the boat the Bullets win hands down. If don't care about hearing the tunes at wakeboarding speeds go with the JL's. The HLCD's are not that harsh at the closer length of surfing if you have a Wetsounds 420 SQ . You can adjust the mids lows and highs to take a bit of the sharpness out of the HLCD speaker at the shorter distances created by surfing. However no matter how hard you try you can't drive those JL's to wakeboarding ranges.

If you plan on listening to tunes at all while wakeboarding that hands down Bullets. Even if its only 2.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjag941 View Post
Don't waste your money on either buy real tower speakers wet sounds, exile, audio formz something along those lines no point to spend good money on poor sounding gear...IMO
Are you from Malibu Crew?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM
MC Fanatic

David....hello
what do you think about a JL mhd 600 to drive 2 bullets on the tower? 2channels @300wrms?