Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 TriStar 190
Put in new fuel hoses.. That didn't help... So I tried pbgbottle's suggestion of putting the points back in... Again no luck, still same problem. (I should have known better, since it ran fine last year on the electronic ignition, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try it...)

I'm starting to get desperate.. My favorite time to ski here is when it's cold enough the lakes are pretty empty.
And I don't mind a slow horrible pull in the warm weather.. But in wetsuit weather, it's nice to be able to get up on slalom without getting my hair wet. (well, I'm bald, but you know what I mean...)

I guess I'll try changing the accelerator pump nozzle.. Or maybe pick up a rebuilt carb from national carburetors...

Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for a good mechanic who's familiar with the older boats in the Fort Worth area?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
Sorry for getting you to mess with the points
Oh well. I would probably pull the carb apart
And check it ,
if it was rebuilt with a Holley carb renew kit it will have the newer style reusable
Blue gaskets. U can open it up carefully and not damage the gaskets
It is probably back firing because of excessive amount of fuel being dumped into the carb flooding it causing it to first hesitate and Then cough or backfire after ,

is it backfiring Out the mufflers or burping back up the carb. ?

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I keep going back to your first post where you said it's been hard to start since you went through the carb. I would pick up a new accelerator pump diaphragm, spring and carb base gasket and replace the accelerator pump. Inspect spring location when disassembling.......I have found springs on the wrong side before.

If you are running way too rich, you could have a blown power valve. Have you checked this. If you do go inside the fuel bowls, be sure to check float levels.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 TriStar 190
I did check the power valve about a month ago...
Quote:
turned the two idle mixture screws in all the way (following holley's instructions for checking the power valve). Engine died as expected.
I actually bought a replacement one, but didn't put it in since it passed this test..

I guess I'm not sure what the accelerator pump stream is supposed to look like, but when I pull the throttle, I see it squirt a stream of fuel in. A few weeks back I tried moving the pump cam from the 1st hole to the second, and tried adjusting the spring/screw, but I didn't seem to make any difference, so I set it back the way it was.

I actually still have the old pump diaphragm and spring from when I did the renew kit.. Will I be able to tell if there's something wrong with the current one? (would it be torn or something, or would a defect be something I wouldn't see?) And the spring goes in first, then the diaphragm, then the cover/arm? So the spring is between the bottom of the bowl and the diaphragm, is that right? (I haven't looked at this in a while, I don't recall how I put it together)

Another thing i'm not sure about is the base gasket. It's been a while since I put the carb on, but as I recall, I didn't have a new base gasket, or the right one wasn't with the renew kit, so I re-used the old one..
I don't really recall how this went, is there a gasket between the intake and the riser, and another one between the riser and the carb?