Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 S&S
Went out tonight. Boat ran great.

However when we got back to the dock after idling in I shut it off waited about 5 minutes and tried to restart it, wouldn't fire up. Like usual just not reliable when restarting.

Choke was acting normal and wasn't closed during the restarts.

Put the new plugs in with no change.

Carb was warm to the touch, not at all hot.

However the metal fuel line running from the pump to the carb was HOT. This may be the culprit. Should I reroute with rubber line, try to insulate my metal one or try to rebend a new metal line.

Jim had mentioned about the fuel filter location. Why is this critical??

Also noticed water temp was pushing 180 at times. New impeller in the spring, may try a new 140 thermostat.

I may give a new battery a try as well. I remember that it cranked faster after a good charge.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Water temp is higher then what mine runs. I run 140 degrees unless after a hard pull then I see 160 for a minute. Hot fuel line doesn't sound good. Why is your fuel line so hot?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Going to check the debris screen and then replace the thermostat.

As for the fuel line. I think the way it is routed and how close it is to the block and head is could cause issue. Looks original. Runs from the pump up the front of the engine between the distributor and the port side head to the carb.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Checked debris screen and found some seaweed and grass in it. At the dock it warmed up to 162 F and held temp. I wonder if I have a 142 or 160 thermostat.

Removed metal fuel line and rapped it with foil tape then some foam insulating foil pipe tape then some more foil tape on the outside. If that doesn't keep heat out of it the only other solution will be to relocate the line.

Let it warm up at the dock with the cover down for a while. Restarted just perfectly.

Ran out of time to take it out.

Going to go out tonight. We'll see how she does.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrgvup View Post
Checked debris screen and found some seaweed and grass in it. At the dock it warmed up to 162 F and held temp. I wonder if I have a 142 or 160 thermostat.

Removed metal fuel line and rapped it with foil tape then some foam insulating foil pipe tape then some more foil tape on the outside. If that doesn't keep heat out of it the only other solution will be to relocate the line.

Let it warm up at the dock with the cover down for a while. Restarted just perfectly.

Ran out of time to take it out.

Going to go out tonight. We'll see how she does.
I think your fuel line idea is a step in the right direction....

Since our fuel pumps (I have a 351 PCM also) are designed as "pullers" if you have fuel that is boiling in the line prior to the fuel pump when you go to restart the cranking RPM of the starter is nowhere near enough RPM to suck new fuel from behind to get things running. Once running a "puller" pump has no problem keeping the fuel moving, however if you had a pusher style electric pump I think this problem would dissappear unless the regulator that you would need to turn down the psi for the carb was really close to the motor and boiled the fuel.

I think insulating the line and making sure you dont have any metal lines in direct contact with your block, exhaust ect....is the solution.

Let me know how you fair tonight.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Went out tonight. Had a few chances to try to hot restart at a safe place and it fired right up!!! Cold start was even better I presume from it not vapor locking and flooding after being shut down from the previous run.

The only other change other than insulating the fuel line between the pump and carb was that I charged up the battery.

Want to claim victory however I am hesitant. We will see how the next few runs go.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrgvup View Post
Went out tonight. Had a few chances to try to hot restart at a safe place and it fired right up!!! Cold start was even better I presume from it not vapor locking and flooding after being shut down from the previous run.

The only other change other than insulating the fuel line between the pump and carb was that I charged up the battery.

Want to claim victory however I am hesitant. We will see how the next few runs go.
Sick!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 ski centurion
Was also having hot start issues. Turned out to be excessive fuel temp. which can cause vapor lock. I have an older Indmar 351w with metal fuel line to carb from pump. I insulated the fuel line (insulation available from Summit parts) then replaced metal carb spacer to phenolic spacer (Transdapt carb spacers 2584 or 2529 if you have pcv port). Best $50 I ever spent. Even if thats not the entire issue I can assure you it cannot do anything but help.