Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X1
JL M770 Maximum Power Handling

What is the concensous on the highest rms power the m770s can handle relatively reliably?
Lets assume 120hz high pass on the amp. I'm currently running 100wrms to my cabin speakers and am not satisfied. I'm used to 200-400wrms per speaker in cars. Im thinking either 150 or 200 to the in boat speakers. Im also about to drop a pair of factory cans on the tower with m770s and was considering putting an mhd750 on them. With properly set gains and not being a bone head, but still wanting to jam out at the same time what are you guys running with success? Do I need to build my own replacement crossovers to handle this kind of power?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
I have been running 3 m770's inboats off one JL m6450 ( approx 150wrms each) for two seasons. I got this idea from David at Earmark. 6 inboats total on two m6450's. They work well and I havent encountered any issues.
An mhd 750 on only two m770's is a lot of power for each of those, but used responsibly they should be fine.
My one complaint about using the mhd750 on two tower speakers is that they are operating on the same channel. Earmark David and I have had discussions about this topic, I feel that some of the audio effects are lost when only using one channel, David disagrees. I use my stereo mostly for partying on the boat (close range listening) I like the sound separation of two channels on the tower vs mono.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah, I agree. I'm not super excited about the idea of a mono amp. I've got a JL m4300 sitting on the shelf that I pulled from my boat that I could use. At 14.4v that would be 225wrms x2.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
An mhd 750 on only two m770's is a lot of power for each of those, but used responsibly they should be fine.
bud... do you responsibly use your things???
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
With pods side by side on a tower, stereo is lost IMO. In-boats, different story, stereo is a must.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Here's a link to an article about using mono on the tower.
http://earmarkcaraudio.com/articles/..._THE_TOWER.htm

I would rate power handling for the M770s at 175 to 200 honest watts per speaker run in the highpass mode and if run flat. There is going to be a difference in real power between a strictly regulated and unregulated amplifier. If you have the factory pods containing the forward facing lamp, a percentage of these pods are not airtight, and if not, this would have to be corrected in order for the speaker to reach its max power handling without serious risk. Pay close attention to whether you are using the 'T' (air suspension) version or 'C' (IB) version in the correct application. A single JL Audio HD750/1 is perfect for four M770s. However, that is way too much power for a single pair. This amplifier is underrated and does not lose power with a drop in voltage supply.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudmanV24 View Post
Yeah, I agree. I'm not super excited about the idea of a mono amp. I've got a JL m4300 sitting on the shelf that I pulled from my boat that I could use. At 14.4v that would be 225wrms x2.
Do you really sit there and listen to the stereo separation and 3D qualities of the music mix when you're skiing/boarding, talking when the music is playing, towing someone or cruising to/from the area where you'll be skiing/boarding? Really? That would make you unique. Stereo is far less important than proper balance between instruments, full-range frequency response, low noise & distortion and coverage. Mono amps work fine- just maintain proper impedance and set the input sensitivity correctly.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudmanV24 View Post
What is the concensous on the highest rms power the m770s can handle relatively reliably?
Lets assume 120hz high pass on the amp. I'm currently running 100wrms to my cabin speakers and am not satisfied. I'm used to 200-400wrms per speaker in cars. Im thinking either 150 or 200 to the in boat speakers. Im also about to drop a pair of factory cans on the tower with m770s and was considering putting an mhd750 on them. With properly set gains and not being a bone head, but still wanting to jam out at the same time what are you guys running with success? Do I need to build my own replacement crossovers to handle this kind of power?
Look at the crossovers- if they have 25V capacitors, they'll never last long- that's roughly equivalent to 100W into a 4 Ohm load.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
I'm pretty sure that JL Audio uses a nice mylar or poly cap in the tweeter series application....and that's the critical one. I have yet to see any one of the crossover components fail even with big power.
The biggest power handling limitation is usually the thermal capacity of the midbass and tweeter voice coils. They cannot make them handle more power without degrading the sound quality.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

I just figured that as small as those crossovers were they would be overwhelmed and allow unwanted frequencies to the tweeters. Or am I completely off target on basic principles of how they function? In one of my previous auto installs I had people mistake my crossovers (Goertz, Solen, Mundorf) for amps. While I was running 400wrms per speaker in that install the crossovers themselves ate up a lot of the power.

Note taken on sealing the enclosures as they do have lights.

And I keep my h/u (cmd-4, which I despise) flat...0 bass, 0treb.