Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 x-2
Check engine flashing on dash

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has stumbled upon this problem and might know what it could be. I fired up my boat to take her out of the water for the season and after a few seconds of running the screen is flashing check engine and a loud piercing sound is coming out. I'm not sure if the sound came out of the dash area or the rear because I shut it off as soon as I saw the flashing dash, I figured it was a warning sign not to run her.

To make a long story short I got the neighbor to put me out with his 40 hp pontoon which ran out of gas halfway there as it started to rain and the sun was setting... luckily there was ONE guy out there fishing... otherwise it would have made a bad day and night into a horrible one.

The boat is now at the dealer to be winterized and I'm waiting on him but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

I have a 2007 x-2 that I baby like its my first born!

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
First trip out my my 2007 X14 I had a check engine and an alarm sound. I checked everything that I could and being a MC Newby I found nothing. Took it to the dealer as part of a thorough checkout they found a knock sensor disconnected, probably from the ~700 mile drive from Kansas. They fixed it and all is well.

One thing about MC service they check things over and do a good job, at least mine does. It is not super cheap, but they do a good job.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Can you not read the check engine alarm codes somehow? I'm not familiar with your boat - on my boat, there is a screen with the engine diagnostics. On my car, I plug in an OBD II reader.

It's not worth guessing what the problem is... there must be some way to read the code and figure out why the light is on.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197
Had the same thing on my 08 197 with the MCX this summer. Mine turns out it was a low voltage code being thrown. Dealer said most often the check engine warning isn't something major and usually a knock sensor, low voltage or something simple sending a error code to the ECM. Unfortunately you have to have a marine code reader and the software to pull the codes off these engines. Understand yours is already at the dealer, but I was told keep an eye on all the guages and if all is well use the boat. You can silence the alarm with the toggle switch for that controls the digital readout for your digital indicator on your dash.

Also, I've seen other folks on the forum here that have more significant engine issues where the boat automatically goes into limp mode. Someone more schooled in the ECM's on these boats may be able to better explain the cause of these types of issues.

Keep us updated on what the dealer finds out the cause of your issue is.