Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
You can do it with a standard toilet plunger, no inner flange. I have a perko now, however it can be done. I used the plunger, had my old rabbit ears from my I/O - removed the hose connection from that, cut a hole in the side of the plunger, stuck it through, silicone it in.

Trick is to have the hose portion pointed directly at the scupper. Plenty of water for about a 15 minute engine run before temp started to rise.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Skip the plunger. They don't seal well and are prone to falling over. Unless you're keeping a close eye on things, you could run dry and not know it.

Bucket fed by a garden hose and a 1.25" flexible PVC hose to the transmission cooler or the water pump (whichever is first) takes all of a minute to get set up and is infinitely reliable.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Is it really necessary to put a hole in the bottom of the bucket to hook up to the raw water intake. If you just had a flexible hose connected to the raw water intake, couldn't you just stick it down into the bucket? I would think that the raw water pump would have enough head to pull the water out of the bucket without gravity's help.

Other idea that I had was to place a long rectangular Rubbermaid tub behind the boat under the exhaust flaps. Then run a flexible hose from the raw water intake, out, up, and over, down to the tub. This way you could re-circulate the water until the water started getting too hot. Anyone tried this? Should work if the raw water pump has enough head capacity.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Is it really necessary to put a hole in the bottom of the bucket to hook up to the raw water intake. If you just had a flexible hose connected to the raw water intake, couldn't you just stick it down into the bucket? I would think that the raw water pump would have enough head to pull the water out of the bucket without gravity's help.

Other idea that I had was to place a long rectangular Rubbermaid tub behind the boat under the exhaust flaps. Then run a flexible hose from the raw water intake, out, up, and over, down to the tub. This way you could re-circulate the water until the water started getting too hot. Anyone tried this? Should work if the raw water pump has enough head capacity.
I just stick the flexible hose into the bucket.

JimN used to talk about how they had a big catch can of antifreeze. But like you mention, with water, you're going to get to the end of its cooling capacity pretty fast. Easier to take what you collect and just water the lawn with it or something.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post

You do not have to drill a hole in the bottom of the pail. Running a hose over the top works just fine. I use a tub and have a small hole drilled through to secure a 1x2 which I zip-tie the garden hose and the hose that goes to the oil cooler. Could just as easily duct tape the hose to a rock to keep them at the bottom. I have a valve at the top of the tub to regulate water flow into the tub.
Attached Images

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Winterizing with toilet plunger question...

I always disconnected the intake hose from the brass hose barb where it came through the boat. Is there any problem with this? Would stick garden hose in intake hose allowing excess water to drain in bilge. When time for antifreeze I would dump in bucket and suck out. When empty shut off engine. Is there a reason I shouldn't do it this way.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Bucket is best IMHO. 5g or larger, its not rocket science.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
once you run a bucket - and see it drain with the hose filling bucket and not keeping up you will be converted....
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205, 1994, 351
Well, just finished my first winterization on my 2002 xstar. Filled a roughneck tub with water and kept the hose running. Ran a 1.25" hose from tub to water pump where raw water line connects. Ran the engine until temp reached 150 degrees. Changed oil. Ran again to get temps up. Shut off then emptied the tub of water and filled with 6 gallons of boat antifreeze and fired it up again and ran until the pink stuff came out the exhaust. Fogged engine.

Then did the ballast system which has a ball valve shutoff upstream from a T that allowed me to attach a short length of garden hose with the other end in a gallon of marine antifreeze. Ran each ballast pump until the antifreeze came through into a catch basin. Cleaned up and put the tarp on.

Am I done? Must admit, it is a bit freaky wondering if the antifreeze got to all the necessary places. Any suggestions on something I missed or should double check?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Well, just finished my first winterization on my 2002 xstar. Filled a roughneck tub with water and kept the hose running. Ran a 1.25" hose from tub to water pump where raw water line connects. Ran the engine until temp reached 150 degrees. Changed oil. Ran again to get temps up. Shut off then emptied the tub of water and filled with 6 gallons of boat antifreeze and fired it up again and ran until the pink stuff came out the exhaust. Fogged engine.

Then did the ballast system which has a ball valve shutoff upstream from a T that allowed me to attach a short length of garden hose with the other end in a gallon of marine antifreeze. Ran each ballast pump until the antifreeze came through into a catch basin. Cleaned up and put the tarp on.

Am I done? Must admit, it is a bit freaky wondering if the antifreeze got to all the necessary places. Any suggestions on something I missed or should double check?

If you're not comfortable with the amount of RV anti freeze you ran - run some more.. - cheap insurance.. right.. -