Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
A couple issues...

I changed my oil and transmission fluid today and cleaned my flame arrestor. I did find out the transmission fluid was 15W-40, but it was milky and appeared to have water in it. The good news is that the rattle that I heard has now almost gone away, with the change in oil. What I want to know though, is aside from having a bilge full of water, how could water get into the transmission?

On another note, I just repropped the boat and it has a much better hole shot now. I did a WOT run last week and was a little disappointed bc I was only able to manage about 38.7 mph. I thought that it should be in the low 40s at a minimum. Well while I was changing fluids, I noticed that I had a loose plug wire on the distributor, so I plugged it back in, hoping that would solve my slow top speed. The boat runs much better now and man, that new prop really makes a huge difference now that I am running on all cylinders. However, when I get just past 3/4 throttle, about 37 mph or so, the engine starts surging pretty bad. I thought I may have had a loose hose from cleaning the flame arrestor, but everything seems to be intact. Could this be a spark plug issue or fuel pump or fuel filter? This is the first I have noticed the issue. When I first bought it a couple months back, I was able to get about 45 mph with no surging. It has no problems cruising all day long at 23mph.

I had a similar issue with my PS 205, but a quick cleaning of the screen did the trick there, although it didn't surge. It just sounded starved around 3/4 throttle and would not reach full speed.

Last edited by CC2MC; 10-05-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Which screen did you clean on your 205?
I would check fuel pressure.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
check tranny fluid cooler - usually the first problem for a leak unless bilge really flooded... and fuel pressure... 2003 - fuel pump?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 PM
MC Devotee

The PS screen on the fuel pump. It had a little gunk in it, and not that much but apparently enough to hinder the pump. I thought about the fuel pressure and I may end up having to check that. I also read about these fuel pumps not working as well below 1/4 tank and I have about 1/8 of a tank in there currently. I didn't want to put too much fuel in in and have it sit all winter, bc I am not sure how many more times I will be able to use the boat this year.

I didn't think about the tranny cooler. I just have to locate it now. If it is set up like the PS, then it should be on the stbd side.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
The PS screen on the fuel pump. It had a little gunk in it, and not that much but apparently enough to hinder the pump. I thought about the fuel pressure and I may end up having to check that. I also read about these fuel pumps not working as well below 1/4 tank and I have about 1/8 of a tank in there currently. I didn't want to put too much fuel in in and have it sit all winter, bc I am not sure how many more times I will be able to use the boat this year.

I didn't think about the tranny cooler. I just have to locate it now. If it is set up like the PS, then it should be on the stbd side.
1/8 of a tank.. .5 off on MCOCD.. .. too many contributors on Fuel Pump 101 thread on this.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM
MC Maniac

What year was your 205?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 PM
MC Devotee

PS was a 94, with the LT-1. There is a screen on the intake tube on the bottom of the Fuel Pump. Just remove the pump and look at the screen to see if it has anything obstructing the flow. Clean and reinstall. That did the trick for me and I was able to get the 45-46mph top speed I was wanting.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 PM
MC Maniac

I am Betting your fuel pump is going. Borrow a gas pressure gauge and go out and run it......also add more gas before you do this. My guess is you overheated your pump.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
I am Betting your fuel pump is going. Borrow a gas pressure gauge and go out and run it......also add more gas before you do this. My guess is you overheated your pump.
That is my thought too, although I really hate to hear that kind of news. Hopefully it is not the pump.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 PM
MC Maniac

Check out the fuel pump 101 thread.....it could be worse.