Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-28-2013, 02:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter281 View Post
Installed the MW2 today - I'll be honest, that sucked more than I expected. I couldn't reach my arm behind the panel far enough to remove the 3 torx bolts along the top so I pretty much had to blindly feel for the mounting bracket and remove the nuts holding the existing remote in place and reverse for the install of the MW2. Doable, but kind of sucked.

As fletch mentioned, the MW1 is about 1" larger in diameter and would require an extension collar of some sort to allow it to fit - plus some cutting. The MW2 is exactly the same size as the stock clarion remote for those years which makes me all the more upset that I can't just use the old remote.... being that they have identical functionality. Has anyone looked at a wiring diagram to see if the original remote can be rigged to work with the newer gen head units? I would rip that $125 dollar unit out and return it in a heartbeat....

On an up note, everything works great, including the M303 headunit which I have paired with both my and my wife's cell phones for streaming Pandora - very excited to use out on the water!

Austin
You can use the older style remote. You just have to use the cable adapter. I've seen it before. I was considering this option, but my old transom remote just doesn't look good anymore. I really want to use the MW1 over the MW2. Guess when I get back in the states, I'll find out how difficult it will actually be. I'm fine with widening the mounting hole, since one is already there, but I don't recall the way it mounts. I thought it was just a sleeve with a collar from the underside.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft X-Star
The cable adapter you need in order to use the old remote with the new head unit is the CLARION CCUMRA1 MARINE STEREO REMOTE ADAPTER CABLE 8 PIN MALE TO 6 PIN FEMALE
NEWER 2009+ STEREO TO OLDER STYLE PRE-2009 REMOTE. I've bought two of these off ebay and installed them. The old remotes work as they did previously, even the mute button, which I had read might not work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLARION-CCUM...#ht_340wt_1145
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM
MC Fanatic

That's it. What he said.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
The cable adapter you need in order to use the old remote with the new head unit is the CLARION CCUMRA1 MARINE STEREO REMOTE ADAPTER CABLE 8 PIN MALE TO 6 PIN FEMALE
NEWER 2009+ STEREO TO OLDER STYLE PRE-2009 REMOTE. I've bought two of these off ebay and installed them. The old remotes work as they did previously, even the mute button, which I had read might not work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLARION-CCUM...#ht_340wt_1145
It looks like the display on the remote will be blank. Did they work for you?

From the add

•Display Remotes (CMRC1SB, CMRC1BSS) LCD displays will be blank - no information displayed.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
I can confirm that the displays on the old remotes won't work with the adapter cable.

The remote from the XMD2 should work with the CMD6.

Last edited by tr6coug; 04-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft X-Star
fskof - my old remotes (one is a 1999 and one a 2000) do not have displays.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Just got clarification from Earmark about this situation. Clarion offers two remote sizes. Large and small. The ones with the LCD are the larger and the ones without are the smaller. So if you are going from the old non-LCD to new MW2, it has the same diameter mounting hole. The same can be said about going from the old LCD display remote to the new MW1. Since I'm going from LCD to LCD, I won't have to do anything but swap them and change the cable.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X7
Good to know! As of now, I think I am sticking with the smaller one.....unless I can make the MW1 look ok without that metal plate that says MC on it. I never got around to it over the weekend since I've been screwing around with this stupid XM Direct adapter. I can't get the stupid programmed and about ready to send it back.

2002 X7 (Current)

1988 Tristar 190 Open Bow (Old)
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-star 2001
I have fitted the MW1 to my 2002 x-star with one of these

Clarion MW1 Remote Mount To Suit Mastercarft. Clarion M303 - M309
http://bit.ly/GCvojd

Cheers
Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
So I just bought a clarion M303 head unit and cant use my old drivers remote....Reading threw these posts it looks like I need a MW2 unit and new cable......correct?

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house