Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Plus every review I've read says the sound quality is on par WetSounds
It may help the OP if you clarify which speaker models you are referring to. Since the exile 8" tower coaxial has just launched, there are probably very few people that have had the opportunity to listen to it side by side with other 8" coaxial such as the JL 7.7 or the Wet Sounds Icon-8.

if you are talking HLCD tower speakers then yes the SQ of the 8" exile XM9 was on par with the now discontinued (2 years ago) Wet Sounds 8" Pro-80. Side by side with the current Wet Sounds 8" Rev-8, there is a clear difference in SQ. The Rev-8 is much warmer and greater balance. The horn is not nearly as aggressive as before, yet there is no compromise to its projection. We found that the switch in the nose of the XM9 had no audible effect.

The Wet Sounds swivel clamps not only allow for the speaker leads to pass through the clamp, but 4 additional conductors for RGB LEDs.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
How much do the Wetsounds QR clamps cost vs the Exile clamps? Is there anyone having issues with the Exile clamps not meeting their expectations?
In 2 short seasons, we saw a variety of tower speaker issues. With the clamps, it was mostly corrosion and dead spots between the speaker terminal male/female posts. Loosen the clamp, rotate it back and forth and re-secure the thumb screw would fix it temporarily.

Its hard to see, but its all white and ashy in the clamp
Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
So Exile is hot buttered garbage. Got it, thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
So Exile is hot buttered garbage. Got it, thanks.

Buttered? When did they start doing that?

Odin
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I own the rev 8's. Their swivel clamp is sub par for such a high end superb sounding HLCD speaker with the price tag. The speakers wobble ever so slightly no matter how tight I get them. They had to be re threaded/tapped right from the factory as one bolt did not run smooth. Wetsounds shipped me new clamps. Fixed the thread issue, but they still don't lock in as solid as the Exile's It's been the case on several different clamps from wetsounds. The sound to me outweighs the clamp issue, but saying the wetsounds clamps are higher quality or equal to the Exile ones is false. The Exile clamps are much more solid. As far as SQ. U can't argue with JL in the non HLCD line. I won't even touch the Exile WS debate because I have heard systems with both and never been disappointed. I do think the Rev series is the best sounding HLCD for all around use in near filed and projection. However in a surf speaker you really can't go wrong with either. With the addition of the 8inch JL I think that would be the go to for a surf speaker but they are going to rape you on pods and speaker combos. Most likely double what a set of WS or Exiles will cost I would imagine. It's up to you to decide if you think their SQ would be worth double the $$.