Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2013, 10:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Lift machine damage

Searched the forums for this but didn't see one so sorry if maybe I used the wrong search term;

Anyway, was detailing the boat after the season this weekend and noticed some substantial damage to the hull from one of those long fork lift machines our development uses for dry storage. It looks more like scuff abrasions caused by the forks sliding in and out on the hull. Most likely this damage is being done when the boat is on the rack and being retrieved to put in the water(rather than lifting it out of the water) I am thinking that is when the hull is dryest and more susceptible to damage. Has anyone come across this in dry storage and is there any kind of preventive something I can do to minimize the damage? I keep the boat well waxed but that doesn't seem to be helping.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
pictures needed
Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
I had the same thing happen to me. Caused me to move to a slip with a lift - was getting too banged up. Also, put some spider cracks in my transom.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
pictures needed
Yep. Tough to get an idea without pics.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitilldark View Post
Searched the forums for this but didn't see one so sorry if maybe I used the wrong search term;

Anyway, was detailing the boat after the season this weekend and noticed some substantial damage to the hull from one of those long fork lift machines our development uses for dry storage. It looks more like scuff abrasions caused by the forks sliding in and out on the hull. Most likely this damage is being done when the boat is on the rack and being retrieved to put in the water(rather than lifting it out of the water) I am thinking that is when the hull is dryest and more susceptible to damage. Has anyone come across this in dry storage and is there any kind of preventive something I can do to minimize the damage? I keep the boat well waxed but that doesn't seem to be helping.
A lift driver who knows what they're doing would help.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Yep. Tough to get an idea without pics.
Sorry, but I worked on it a good part of last night and was able to wax out the vast majority.
But boy what a pain. So no pics that I can get to come out to show you. Next time I'll shoot first. I wish I could get them to put carpet or something on the runners but I guess they REALLY need for the boats not to slide around when they are 25' in the air. Best I can tell, the runners are rubber. But they do a number on my white hull.

Thanks