Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1990, Indmar Ford 351w GT40P, Borg Warner 1/1 Velvet drive 71c 10-17-004, pp stargazer, Acme 13
Hi Samy, it's been a while since I did the rebuild but I think snap ring 78 did sit tight in a grove when I rebuilt my transmission (page 5 of the rebuild thread.) In your case: you don't see the grove at all or does the snap ring not provide enough pressure? Did you replace the right number of clutch plates? If you put in more than came out (remember there might be more plates in your rebuild kit than necessary for your particular transmission) they might sit higher than the grove and therefore not allow to put in the snap ring? Am not really sure how critical 78 is since the clutch assembly is really held together by snap ring 89 after using the press. Personally; if the problem is just that snap ring 78 sits in the grove loosely, I would order a new one and replace it to be sure.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Ski nautique 2001
Thanks for the reply. I did put the same number of clutch plates back in but even with nothing in there the ring doesn't fit. I had ordered a new one and same problem. I can see the grove, when i put the ring in it easily pushes right back out. When I took everything apart all that stuff just fell out, I was thinking that might have been the reason it was slipping.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1975 Deadrise workboat, Crusader with Velvet Drive 71C
I have a 71c that is leaking transmission fluid out of where the no 48 shift lever goes into the transmission. I am assuming this is caused by a defective no 40 o-ring. Does this sound like a correct assumption? If so I'd just like to confirm that I can replace this o-ring without disassembling the rest of the transmission. Making such the spring doesn't go flying into the bilge. I.E. By just removing no. 33 valve cover plate, shift lever, etc. and pulling the no. 39 valve out. Then replacing the o-ring and reassemble. From your thread it appears I can do this in the boat as I have excellent access.

Last edited by Slackwater; 10-10-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
This is a great thread that has me thinking about buying an old transmission to rebuild for the experience. I found one a couple hours away it's Borg Warner Velvet Drive. 1:1 ratio from a late 80's american skier. Does anyone know if this would fit into my 91 prostar 190?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Velvet Drive 71c rebuild

Is your 91 a Powerslot? If it is, a 1:1 transmission will be shorter than the one in your boat. What does the trans tag say on your transmission?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
No, I have a 1:1 in there now, not a power slot. I'm checking that it came off a ford motor (probably did) if so I assume it will bolt right in if I ever need it. If I get it I will probably rebuild it and sell it or just sit on it until some needs it. Looking for a winter project.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackwater View Post
I have a 71c that is leaking transmission fluid out of where the no 48 shift lever goes into the transmission. I am assuming this is caused by a defective no 40 o-ring. Does this sound like a correct assumption? If so I'd just like to confirm that I can replace this o-ring without disassembling the rest of the transmission. Making such the spring doesn't go flying into the bilge. I.E. By just removing no. 33 valve cover plate, shift lever, etc. and pulling the no. 39 valve out. Then replacing the o-ring and reassemble. From your thread it appears I can do this in the boat as I have excellent access.
All of the above is true... the entire shift body can be removed easily, o-ring replaced, etc.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: sinker extrordinare
I joined just to say thanks for the great write up. I have been looking for a boat and this opens up the idea that I can get one cheap needing trans work. Thanks again!