Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07' Mastercraft X30 LY6
I have a Clarion CMD6 head unit that will no longer charge my iPhone. It has been working great and charged my phone while playing all summer. Now, when I plug it in, my iPhone says "May not be compatible with device." Anyone had a similar issue? Is there a reset or something I can adjust on the head unit to make it charge again?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyriserX9 View Post
I have a Clarion CMD6 head unit that will no longer charge my iPhone. It has been working great and charged my phone while playing all summer. Now, when I plug it in, my iPhone says "May not be compatible with device." Anyone had a similar issue? Is there a reset or something I can adjust on the head unit to make it charge again?
Any chance that you recently updated you phone?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Clarion CMD6 Question

I've seen this before.

Try:

1. Unplug the phone from the stereo and unlock the phone. Then plug it back in again. Repeat a few times...if that doesn't work....Push and hold the top button and home button of your phone for 10 - 15 seconds. Like taking a screen shot but longer. This will hard reset your iPhone.

2. If that doesn't work....Hard reset the stereo. Use the battery switch. Turn off the power for a few minutes. Then back on again.

3. If that doesn't work... Replace the white iPhone cable with one from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/

4. Also check to make sure your phone has the latest software from Apple. They have patched IOS 7 and there is an update.

5. Finally, trickle charge your boat batteries over night. Sometimes if they are low, you'll find the stereo starts to get flakey.

Generally speaking I have found #5 to be the issue.

Edit: in many cases, you can ignore the message and a few minutes later, the phone will start to charge... But if your iPhone cable is after market, then see the link in #3.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 09-27-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you very much KahunaCraft. I will print these tips out and try tomorrow. I am not using an aftermarket Iphone cord. It was working great all Summer, but last weekend it stopped charging. Kinda weird since it still plays music, just doesn't charge anymore. Hopefully one of your tricks will work. I'll stop back and let you know for sure. Thanks and happy Friday!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Iphone Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
Any chance that you recently updated you phone?
Yes, I recently download the new IOS7. However, the problem started occurring prior to the update. I'll go ahead and check for updates to this software as well. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar LY6, 2006 X-15 (gone)
I had a similar question I was just going to search for, but its for my IPOD, not IPHONE, and says that same thing.

Thanks for the pointers.

Tom
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

I tried everything on the list but no luck :/
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Clarion CMD6 Question

Ok. The ones you did are what seemed to work for me.

If you like here is a few more steps... Sorry I didn't mention them before.

1. Try someone else's iPhone (same model if possible, same IOS) and with the new cable. If it charges and your's doesn't, the problem is somewhat narrowed down to your phone.

If that doesn't work, try an android phone just to see if the USB power is actually working with another device other than Apple.

2. If that doesn't work, and there is no USB power coming from the head unit. Unplug the cable that runs from the USB connector to the back of the stereo. Then reconnect. Could be that this cable has gone bad. In that case, try plugging in your USB cable to the one that directly comes from the back of the head unit. Just to test that segment, if it is in fact a two segment wire.

3. If that doesn't work, ...hate to say this but I'd unplug the other inputs aux, am/fm/Sirius etc at the back and just leave the USB connection and narrow down. And unplug the remotes that connect to the deck at the same time. So all that remains are the speakers, power / ground / amps and of course that USB connection causing the problem that are physically connected. It's fairly accessible on my boat, not sure about yours.

4. I may still be under warranty, at this stage if you make it this far... It might be the head unit, I'm reluctant to recommend changing that because these cables get fussy and replacing the head may be a waste of 200-250.00.

Below is the wiring diagram.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Kahunacraft, you were right! Originally, when troubleshooting, I grabbed the Iphone cord out of my truck and it wouldn't charge the phone either. So, I purchased a brand new cord and now everything works perfectly. So if this happens to anyone else, just replace the cord with a brand new one.