Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Ski Progression - Worth it?

Hey guys,

I'm getting closer to running 30/-15, but not quite there yet. I'd like to get the "next level" ski as I plan to ski the course more and more. I'm on a 71" HO Triumph right now, which rides nice in the water but turns like a school bus.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Radar Senate C 69". I've read that it compares pretty closely to the HO Coefficient X, which was my next planned ski.

Am I making too big of a jump here? Not enough?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Running the course at 15 off at any speed is a major accomplishment, congrats! Big school bus turns are caused by riding the tail of the ski. You can be on a high end slalom ski with the Mac Daddy binding setup and guess what? Get on the tail and here comes the bus As long as your skiing slower speeds I think that HO is probably fine. 15 thru 28-32 off is all about working behind the boat.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Skipper

Are you a big fella? 69 and 71 inch skis are very long. If you are 185lbs or less you may wanna go way down to a 67 inch ski. You would probably be able to run a 68 inch ski up into 220 lbs. You cannot go wrong with Radar. They are great skis.

Learning to ride the dumb things is what gets tough. Body position is critical, especially as you get deeper into the course. Bendnig the knees, getting the hips forward, keeping the handle at or below hip level at all times, quickly transitioning, paitiently waiting to hook up, you have nothing but fun times in your future.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
Are you a big fella? 69 and 71 inch skis are very long. If you are 185lbs or less you may wanna go way down to a 67 inch ski. You would probably be able to run a 68 inch ski up into 220 lbs. You cannot go wrong with Radar. They are great skis.

Learning to ride the dumb things is what gets tough. Body position is critical, especially as you get deeper into the course. Bendnig the knees, getting the hips forward, keeping the handle at or below hip level at all times, quickly transitioning, paitiently waiting to hook up, you have nothing but fun times in your future.
Triumph not a bad ski - Skipper is right.. I ride a 69 triumph and a 69 Coefficient xl/s - weigh 193... will be dropping to 185 hopefully for next season. Ski the Triumph mostly to ski slower to get my form right. I would be concerned more about form over the ski.

I saw vid of the owner of Pine Lake Ski school run the course in two skis.. if that's not turn a bus I don't know what is..

If you want the turn to feel like it's snapping around... the xl
Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
Running the course at 15 off at any speed is a major accomplishment, congrats! Big school bus turns are caused by riding the tail of the ski. You can be on a high end slalom ski with the Mac Daddy binding setup and guess what? Get on the tail and here comes the bus As long as your skiing slower speeds I think that HO is probably fine. 15 thru 28-32 off is all about working behind the boat.
That's true, and I don't want to be the proverbial 30 handicapper with pro clubs, but I'd like to keep progressing, and it seems like the Senate is a good middle of the road ski for buoy chasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post

I am a big guy...right now around 230, but down from 245 last month and hoping to get to 210 or so. There is no conceivable way I will be 185 any time soon, short of an illness!

I feel better and better each time I'm out there, and the video seems to support it...so much to look forward to, sucks that we're at the end of the season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Triumph not a bad ski - Skipper is right.. I ride a 69 triumph and a 69 Coefficient xl/s - weigh 193... will be dropping to 185 hopefully for next season. Ski the Triumph mostly to ski slower to get my form right. I would be concerned more about form over the ski.

I saw vid of the owner of Pine Lake Ski school run the course in two skis.. if that's not turn a bus I don't know what is..

If you want the turn to feel like it's snapping around... the xl
I know CP and Nate could run the course with a 2x4 and rubber bands for binding, but I need all the help I can get
Old 09-23-2013, 01:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
How much do you weigh, and how tall are you? Those are huge skis

Sorry..just saw new post above.

You might want to try something that's fairly wide, like an HO S2....would be much easier to turn a wider shorter ski than a 71" YIKES

If you get to 210...a 68" is fine.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Good lord... I have been as heavy as 5'11" 194 and never got above a 67.

we have a new guy in our club who skis a 67 connelly concept with double mid wraps... we had him try Kyles 67 A2 with double approaches and the improvement after about 2-3 passes was pretty significant.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post
How much do you weigh, and how tall are you? Those are huge skis

Sorry..just saw new post above.

You might want to try something that's fairly wide, like an HO S2....would be much easier to turn a wider shorter ski than a 71" YIKES

If you get to 210...a 68" is fine.
Yea 6'2", 230...so the 69" should be good, and if I keep dropping weight then I'll keep going down. The Senate C is wider than the Strada, as the S2 is wider than the A2/A3. The S2 is a bit out of my price range.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
Yea 6'2", 230...so the 69" should be good,
Agree

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Good lord... I have been as heavy as 5'11" 194 and never got above a 67.

we have a new guy in our club who skis a 67 connelly concept with double mid wraps... we had him try Kyles 67 A2 with double approaches and the improvement after about 2-3 passes was pretty significant.
So I should just get a $1,300 ski and that will fix it?