TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Great Video!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyfirefighter View Post
Cool Vid my buddy sent me. He is a ground pounder and worked with these type planes up north some time back. (Words from the video) Water bombing forest fires Very courageous and skilled pilots. The shots
of the pilot wrestling with the controls is revealing...
The old company, Bombardier Aerospace, makes these. They don't 'motor
around" to fill the tanks---they touch down at approach speed, open the
fill scoops, add lots of power, and the tanks fill in seconds. There's
one scene in the film where you can see the two tank level gauges rapidly
go up. The
other neat thing is watching the magnitude of
the flight
control inputs, especially aileron, as they are maneuvering down
low---sometimes the pilot is literally going stop to stop.

Real flying!43 Grupo 2012

http://player.vimeo.com/video/48642618
That plane has to be a handfull to fly. The crew chief/third pilot sits in the middle and is helping fly the plane. It would be pretty awesome to see how they work as a team, managing that cockpit as you'r hurtling towards a flaming mountaniside with a huge payload of water.

Love all the flying boats like the Oldschool catalina PBY, and the Canadair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
These pilots are awesome - I had a similar experience like the video below - but I my perspective was from the dock of the in laws summer place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nSRHbaEH0
Remember when that movie was shot, I was living a few miles from Lake Kootenai.
The airport in Libby Montana has to be one of the prettiest general aviation airfields I know.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyfirefighter View Post
By the way were are you working . Profile says your from Tx.
Texas is home.

But I travel a lot for work. So I have been stuck on a project in California since May 2012.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
Texas is home.

But I travel a lot for work. So I have been stuck on a project in California since May 2012.
Well welcome to California. You must be down south. Don't judge the state from being down there. Not saying you are but up north is were it's at. Still I know there no place like home right. When I have to go out of district (fire that is) it's mostly down to Fresno south to San Bernadino county. Never can wait to get home.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Awesome video.......I have flown cessnas before and the slightest movement of the yoke and the plane responds....I couldn't imagine full control imputs .Very impressive!

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO-TALL View Post
Awesome video.......I have flown cessnas before and the slightest movement of the yoke and the plane responds....I couldn't imagine full control imputs .Very impressive!
I'm a pilot and reading your post before I watched the video thinking, you might be forgetting that you keep the ailerons into the wind and then rotate the yoke straight on lift off.

Then I watched the video. And that guy couldn't be jerking off those controls any harder. Lol. Imagine having turbulent air due to the mountains and then also combating thermals from the fire. I bet they get knocked around in there. Doing all they can to keep it straight.

Although they are good pilots. Usually airplanes fly better than you can. And the rudder will smooth a lot of those bumps out without such molestation of the controls.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I'm a pilot and reading your post before I watched the video thinking, you might be forgetting that you keep the ailerons into the wind and then rotate the yoke straight on lift off.

Then I watched the video. And that guy couldn't be jerking off those controls any harder. Lol. Imagine having turbulent air due to the mountains and then also combating thermals from the fire. I bet they get knocked around in there. Doing all they can to keep it straight.

Although they are good pilots. Usually airplanes fly better than you can. And the rudder will smooth a lot of those bumps out without such molestation of the controls.

Being a pilot you'll know all about the effectiveness of controls at low speeds. Most bombing runs are made with flaps marginally extended (in this particular aircraft type) and as slow as possible to improve aim and water coverage. I used to do this in my past life - full aileron deflection is normal in high wind / low level conditions.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant777 View Post
Being a pilot you'll know all about the effectiveness of controls at low speeds. Most bombing runs are made with flaps marginally extended (in this particular aircraft type) and as slow as possible to improve aim and water coverage. I used to do this in my past life - full aileron deflection is normal in high wind / low level conditions.
In high winds and slow speed you are correct. Not much getting lift and controls get sluggish. Being a big plane like that I can't imagine.

I'm sure dumping all that water changes a bit of how it feels in the yoke as well.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2012 Ilmor 6.0
Niice find!. This could be a new ballast fill system for the upcoming mastercrafts. Fills in under a second 3000 pounds
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2012 Ilmor 6.0
Niice find! This could be a new ballast fill system for the upcoming mastercrafts. Fills in under a second 3000 pounds