Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-21-2013, 01:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Start by replacing the one coil pack that.was on cylinders 1&4- if that doesn't fix it, check the Ignition Control Module' ground. I would suspect the IC module befoer the ECM and I ALWAYS suspect bad ground connections before anythibg else.

Someone here replaced their ECM on the recommendation of their dealer and it wasn't the problem- the dealer wouldn't let them return it.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Start by replacing the one coil pack that.was on cylinders 1&4- if that doesn't fix it, check the Ignition Control Module' ground. I would suspect the IC module befoer the ECM and I ALWAYS suspect bad ground connections before anythibg else.

Someone here replaced their ECM on the recommendation of their dealer and it wasn't the problem- the dealer wouldn't let them return it.
OUCH!!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Quote:

Yeah, and mastercraft is REAL proud of them. I was quoted $1500.00. That's good advice on the coil pack. Do you think I could find that from an auto parts store? Save a little on the MC markup?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitilldark View Post
Yeah, and mastercraft is REAL proud of them. I was quoted $1500.00. That's good advice on the coil pack. Do you think I could find that from an auto parts store? Save a little on the MC markup?
It's either going to come from MC or Indmar but I don't think Indmar sell direct to the public. You can always call them and ask.

Likewise, you could find a used one and reflash it with your motors current CAL file which appears to be ltrmc36.cal
Old 09-22-2013, 03:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
There's very little on these engines that ISN'T sourced from GM and the coils are the same as what comes on Northstar engines. The ECM can be bought from other sources, too. The dealer should have shipped the ECM to Indmar or MC for testing, rather than just replacing it.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
There's very little on these engines that ISN'T sourced from GM and the coils are the same as what comes on Northstar engines. The ECM can be bought from other sources, too. The dealer should have shipped the ECM to Indmar or MC for testing, rather than just replacing it.

I haven't bought the coil or ECM yet so I am definitely interested in GM sourced parts. Any idea on how to identify the GM numbers for the LTR? I want to try your idea and replace that 1/4 coil pack because I think that will solve it. Maybe I can avoid the ECM altogether.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I haven't bought the coil or ECM yet so I am definitely interested in GM sourced parts. Any idea on how to identify the GM numbers for the LTR? I want to try your idea and replace that 1/4 coil pack because I think that will solve it. Maybe I can avoid the ECM altogether.
Isn't the part number on the coil pack?

Google for info about how to test the IC module, too.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Isn't the part number on the coil pack?

Google for info about how to test the IC module, too.
I looked, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Couldn't see any numbers or scan bars, etc. The coils are all the original ones so I would think the numbers would be there somewhere.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
It's either going to come from MC or Indmar but I don't think Indmar sell direct to the public. You can always call them and ask.

Likewise, you could find a used one and reflash it with your motors current CAL file which appears to be ltrmc36.cal
How on earth do you know that? It amazes me how smart the people on these boards are...
Old 09-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
How on earth do you know that? It amazes me how smart the people on these boards are...
Until recently Indmar had anonymous access to their FTP site. I just downloaded everything and started reading all the bulletins, service article and went through all the CAL files.

The guys that work Indmar's tech line are extremely nice and helpful when it comes to questions. We also have TT member that works for them, EngineNut (Larry). EngineNut is very smart when it comes to all things Indmar.

I also have cable needed to flash ECMs which I purchased from Rinda Tech.