Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Crest 22 Le
Help with tower lights

I've got a 2007 csx. I bought and installed the tower lights which were pre-wired but can't figure out how to turn them on. None of the switches work and I hooked the black to black and the only other wire was blue with white so I hooked it to the white wire. Any ideas? The aux switches in my t-top light up so I assume they're hooked up, but neither turn on the tower lights. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
We've seen on some years/models that even though the boat and tower is pre-wired for the lights, the wires may not be terminated to a switch. You may need to find the other end of those wires under the helm.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Yes, just like MLA stated, it is highly unlikely that factory would leave an un-terminated live harness in the tower. I would never hook up anything based on the color code alone. Verify B+ first and ground second with a multimeter. A multimeter will also serve you well in verifying the other boat end of the tower harness and verifying the switch function and B+. It's also possible that the factory doesn't run high current halogens directly with the switch and that a relay has to be inserted between the switch and harness.

David
Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Crest 22 Le
Ok thank you. I'm not good with electrical so I may have to take it in.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NOTHING right now! FREAKING OUT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_dt View Post
I've got a 2007 csx. I bought and installed the tower lights which were pre-wired but can't figure out how to turn them on. None of the switches work and I hooked the black to black and the only other wire was blue with white so I hooked it to the white wire. Any ideas? The aux switches in my t-top light up so I assume they're hooked up, but neither turn on the tower lights. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
How many lights? I have two forward, two rear and two aimed out in the flats. This was just too much for the MC switch to handle and it was tripping the breaker. We finally had to offload them to two switches and that worked fine.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitilldark View Post
How many lights? I have two forward, two rear and two aimed out in the flats. This was just too much for the MC switch to handle and it was tripping the breaker. We finally had to offload them to two switches and that worked fine.
What is the wattage of your lights? You should use a relay or relays and fuse the power to the lights, too. I would assume you are at 4.5 amps/light.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 09-21-2013, 09:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NOTHING right now! FREAKING OUT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
What is the wattage of your lights? You should use a relay or relays and fuse the power to the lights, too. I would assume you are at 4.5 amps/light.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
I'm not sure. The forward and rear are those chrome flat Mastercraft lights (2001-2002). Four total. The ones aimed in the flats are little chrome round lights but they put out a ton of light. Your estimate sounds right.