Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Forester
Replace boat buddy with roller

I have trashed two boat buddies and have a nightmare of a time getting the boat all the way up to the pin correctly. I would prefer to just get it close and then winch it up and forget the whole boat buddy. Please dont respond with telling me how to correctly use the boat buddy, I am throwing in the towel.
Anyway I found this roller, but not sure what else is involved. Can someone else that have done this project explain any parts or pieces that I am missing? As far as I know all i do it take the boat buddy off and put this directly in its place using a similar bolt.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...2&merchID=4006

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by adam355; 09-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
you are correct - many here have removed their boat buddy - I like my boat buddy at this point.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Selling old boat buddy?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
I have no problems getting boat buddy to work. But what do you guys do to keep it from marking up the bow or at least best way to clean marks off. I would replace with a roller also but I like the security of the pin in addition to the strap.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcfarland View Post
I have no problems getting boat buddy to work. But what do you guys do to keep it from marking up the bow or at least best way to clean marks off. I would replace with a roller also but I like the security of the pin in addition to the strap.
Add chain for additional security when using only winch w/o boat buddy.
Use transom straps as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

FYI...you should not pull boat around with pin fired across eye.. Pin only to be used to pull boat out of water...then pull pin back to saftey and secure with strap only. Buddy will fail prematurely if used while driving. Set pin to fire position when launching...so its ready to go at return and your wife does not need to get out of truck.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
FYI...you should not pull boat around with pin fired across eye.. Pin only to be used to pull boat out of water...then pull pin back to saftey and secure with strap only. Buddy will fail prematurely if used while driving.
Not if used correctly. When my wife drives the boat on the trailer, and the boat buddy latches, the boat invariably slides backward until stopped by the boat buddy. I hook up the winch, use it to pull the boat forward half an inch, and pull out to go dry off. With the half inch clearance, there's nothing touching the BB pin. Nothing will fail prematurely, and the BB is still there as a secondary means of keeping the boat on the trailer. And, I can pull the BB pin easily the next time we hit the lake.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Not if used correctly. When my wife drives the boat on the trailer, and the boat buddy latches, the boat invariably slides backward until stopped by the boat buddy. I hook up the winch, use it to pull the boat forward half an inch, and pull out to go dry off. With the half inch clearance, there's nothing touching the BB pin. Nothing will fail prematurely, and the BB is still there as a secondary means of keeping the boat on the trailer. And, I can pull the BB pin easily the next time we hit the lake.
So you get out of boat and/or truck before pulling out?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
That's how I have done it since my I bought my other boat 03 x2 brand new. That's how dealer showed me. That boat buddy survived till I sold boat 2 months ago. I still like the extra security of the boat buddy since mc didn't put a chain on the trailer. I'd rather replace a boat buddy if I have to. It may have to go and chain be added if it keeps marking up the 09 xstar. Anyone else have this problem with the xstars
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
had the scuffing problem on my 15 and i hated it.