Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

Read the threads on cleaning and protectants for the boat vinyls, etc. but didn't see much discussion on leather care products.
Question for the TT gang on what's considered the best at cleaning leather interiors (as in truck interiors). Got an '05 Chevy Tahoe LT recently with the leather interior (My older LS has the cloth seats which I prefer). I see Lexol leather cleaner and leather conditioner products at the autoparts store, but have no experience with any of them. The leather has alot of wrinkle marks which are dirty and just general grime on them. Particularly interested in what to use after cleaning, as a protectant or conditioner. Does 303 make anything specific for leather use? Any recommendations on what to use or avoid would be appreciated. Kind of thought this subject would have been beaten around already here on TeamTalk. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
lexol or saddle soap to clean and conditioner after... 303 doesn't make anything for leather that I know of.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Like Mike said, doesn't look like 303 makes a product for leather.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
I use Lexol exclusively.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
98% of most leather auto interiors are all processed and then dyed with color and then covered with a urethane finish. In other words, the leather is 'clear coated' and any type of conditioner that contains a lot of oils is just going to set on the coating, or could cause this urethane finish to break down over time. I've followed the advice of an old school detailer that goes by "TOGWT" on some of the detailing forums. According to him, automobile leather needs to only be cleaned with a wet cloth, and *could* be protected with 303 or Leather Master water-based protectant. I was using Griot's leather products on my Suburban and noticed that the color was starting to come off when I was wiping away the excess conditioner. I've been using the water method + 303 and it works great. TOWGT has written a LOT of in-depth leather care and care care information. Like...A LOT - here is a link to his blog: http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/
And a link to leather care:http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
This guy's version of car detailing OCD makes MCOCD look like a common cold
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Lexol.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Lexol is not being absorbed into the leather unless you are conditioning a saddle....not saying it will hurt the interior (I used it for years on my Saab, but grew tired of the greasy residue if it were not really buffed out).....but it's not actually reaching the 'leather' fibers. If the leather is dirty, a little Neutrogena soap works well, then make sure you're wiping it with a clean, damp rag. Once it's dry follow up with Leather Masters or 303.
Just a glimpse of the information provided in my link from the above post:
Protected leather (P-Protected / Coated) - The majority (95% + ) of automotive upholstery is by-cast urethane (Ethyl carbamate) covered leather, these leathers have aspects of a natural finish, but more uniform in appearance, by-cast will also stretch more than top grain leather and is therefore subject to show creasing.Cleaners and conditioners remain on the surface, itís (urethane) protected leather as liquids other than water (due to the size of its smaller molecules) will not penetrate.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
98% of most leather auto interiors are all processed and then dyed with color and then covered with a urethane finish. In other words, the leather is 'clear coated' and any type of conditioner that contains a lot of oils is just going to set on the coating, or could cause this urethane finish to break down over time. I've followed the advice of an old school detailer that goes by "TOGWT" on some of the detailing forums. According to him, automobile leather needs to only be cleaned with a wet cloth, and *could* be protected with 303 or Leather Master water-based protectant. I was using Griot's leather products on my Suburban and noticed that the color was starting to come off when I was wiping away the excess conditioner. I've been using the water method + 303 and it works great. TOWGT has written a LOT of in-depth leather care and care care information. Like...A LOT - here is a link to his blog: http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/
And a link to leather care:http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
This guy's version of car detailing OCD makes MCOCD look like a common cold
Wow... Taking me a bit to digest some of the articles by TOGWT, very informative. One of the reasons I asked the TT community is the vast knowledge of a wide range of subjects, or at least where to get it.

Very interesting fact that the finish is basically similar to a clear coated paint system (urethane). Basically then, no oils or waxes should be used on your automotive leather. 303 would be acceptable. I looked at Lexol's webpage, not sure what their Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner product contains, assuming it is water based. But it seems un-needed if you already have some 303 and are using it elsewhere on the auto interior.
Thanks everyone for the all insight.

@ SP Maristar & Lumbergh
Which product from Lexol were you referring to? I always see Lexol's leather products at the auto parts stores (Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly's) but have never found their Vinylex product anywhere, and I'm always looking for it to try. I've seen some good comments about it on here.