Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2013, 02:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
The canvas company showed me a lot of canvas options, some were thick as cow hide, others were thinner and more flexible. He pointed out one in particular that he said would take 10 years of full Minnesota summers and winters with no problem and it was not all that thick. If I persue this route I will want to run the calculations to see how much such a cover would weigh. Protecting my baby is worth quite a bit, but it is not worth a hernia. And if it is too hard to do then it makes doing the job less desirable.

I would not trailer with such a cover. The sales guy did say they have made similar covers for several boat owners because they trailer their boats up North and the full cover protects everything from bugs getting stuck all over the tower and speakers and lights. I know first hand how nasty that can be because I got a nasty layer of bug guts on my rig while bringing it back from down South. That 650 mile trip put on about 1 million bugs on my tower! I am still working on getting them out of the nooks and crannies.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Sunbrella, despite being a high end material that breathes well and is durable, is not particularly heavy. I have found it to be one of the lightest options, actually. Cotton is heavier, as are some of the poly and poly blends- especially if lined.

I am certain that their definition of "towable cover" means that it will have a bunch of tie down loops that can be attached to the trailer. That is a fairly common term thrown about by cover manufacturers, and very misleading, IMHO. Truly trailerable covers need to be extremely tight, which requires a very precise fit- making them a real pain to install. While they do serve their purpose, they are not a great option for storage.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I don't have a tower since I am still looking to buy a boat. But, why not fold the tower down and get a cover that fits it that way? That would be less fabric and make it lighter weight. Should also reduce the initial cost. Are the Mastercraft towers a real pain to fold?

Don't want to start a debate, but you can buy carports with certifications up to 150 mph winds. Would I come out of my basement in a tornado and strap myself to a carport? No, but they are stronger than you think when certified and properly anchored. We had a "micro" twister about a mile from my house this Spring. It picked up a couple of Uhaul trailers and flipped them on their tops. It also slid two parked cars in the Uhaul parking lot into a brick wall. My co-worker lives about 200 feet from the Uhaul lot and he has a 74 Vette under a metal carport. Carport never moved, even though he had 3 trees snapped off in his backyard. Just info, because I know that you can't argue against "the Client", been there myself.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I'm considering going a completely different route for my dock.

The Touchless cover is nice but price prohibitive for me. I am thinking about a custom RV cover, which is only around $600 for sunbrella. The back of the cover is a full access panel and there is also an access panel on the passenger(rv), starboard(boat) side. I could even have some rings sewn into it, so that I could set it up like the touchless.

It would be supended from the upper deck of our dock, so I wouldn't have to worry about handling something this size.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
I don't have a tower since I am still looking to buy a boat. But, why not fold the tower down and get a cover that fits it that way?

Don't want to start a debate, but you can buy carports with certifications up to 150 mph winds.
Folding the tower is not impossible but it is one more thing that would need to be done every time I want to put the cover on and of course reverse once I want to take it out again. With my (potential) plan I can leave my boards and gear right in the board racks, rotate them inward, throw the cover over the whole thing and I don't even have to put the boards in their racks in the garage. I am trying to find a way to protect everything as easily as possible and not build a pole barn (previous owner had a gigantic heated barn and the boat never saw a drop of rain).

A carport would not fly in my neighborhood and it would not fly past SWMBO. I also think they are butt ugly.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
well if you go with a similar cover as to the one I have yes you can leave the boards in the rack. one thing I was so impressed with the cover I got was the fact that even the navigation light was built into the cover along with two great vents that have screens on them to not allow bugs.

ps, I no way have I been trying to jack your thread just trying to help and give advise!!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
well if you go with a similar cover as to the one I have yes you can leave the boards in the rack. one thing I was so impressed with the cover I got was the fact that even the navigation light was built into the cover along with two great vents that have screens on them to not allow bugs.

ps, I no way have I been trying to jack your thread just trying to help and give advise!!
Your cover is exactly what I want the canvas company to build for me. It would fit exactly to my boat because they build the cover only with the boat on site and in the shop. I could also even leave my water ski racks on (they don't rotate inward) and the shop said they would just pad out the inside and reinforce it to handle the forks poking at the canvas.

I like your cover:

Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Why not just buy a waterline fit cover from Skiboatcovers.com with chine skirts and a swim platform cover?

Do you really need to protect the tower itself?
The below picture on skiboatcovers.com website for a wakesetter is one of my previous boats (used with my permission). Mike did a great job and delivered exactly what I wanted. It was made of sunbrella, had gortex thread, belly band and loops for tie downs. These guys are great to deal with and the price was around the 1k mark (they can give you actual pricing based on options). It wasn't too heavy. I could put it on by myself in just a few minutes.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabonners View Post
The below picture on skiboatcovers.com website for a wakesetter is one of my previous boats (used with my permission). Mike did a great job and delivered exactly what I wanted. It was made of sunbrella, had gortex thread, belly band and loops for tie downs. These guys are great to deal with and the price was around the 1k mark (they can give you actual pricing based on options). It wasn't too heavy. I could put it on by myself in just a few minutes.
The more I noodle on this and the more I think about it going up over the tower makes for too much surface area that our local thunderstorms could hammer on. It would make me sick to see the boat sitting in my driveway on its side because the cover provided too much of a sail and the boat tipped over on the trailer.

So the more I think about it the more I will go with something like this although I'll specify a good angle with the cover so the water sheds well. My current MC cover allows water to linger too long. If I really want to protect the tower the canvas shop can make me a cover that slips over that. They showed me several photos of ones they had made.