Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTZ_MC View Post
I got some better photos of the interior over the weekend. I had the boat out twice and it is holding up great so far!
Looks good. Get some Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store too. In a clear bottle yellow liquid inside. It might help those dark areas.

Also, I removed that center pylon. Not like you need it if you don't plan to slalom. And you can slalom from the tower. This really isn't the best slalom boat. Probably the worst thing it does, and was its original intention. How about that.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
What speed are you doing for surf? I run about 10.4 average.

For surfing I'd say fill your locker bag as much as you can. The more weight in the corner and the taller the wave.

Also, I see a lot of people surf too close to the boat. Not sure if this is your problem but move back on the wave and see if that makes it more surfable. Photo for reference.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
I am surfing around 10mph although it is somewhat of a guess because the speedo doesn't move much below 15mph. I was round 1900rpm with 2 passengers and 400lbs and the surf wake wasn't very surfable. I can't wait to add ballast! The wakeboarding wake is awesome though!

Name:  1265835_10101031834537283_1220171695_o.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  55.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Some great ideas for this weekend right here. I'll half fill the rears and keep all the bow weight in the boat, more vert would be nice!

Perfect Pass Stargazer is a lifesaver when running ballast, even my gf can drive the boat perfectly with it. Highly recommend it for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing!

P.S. - KTZ_MC, sorry for the thread jack haha.
I have thought about getting a perfect pass setup, it seems like a great idea because I am constantly having to teach someone new how to pull a rider. How hard was the installation? I really like the throttle response/feel that it currently has but I definitely see the benefits of perfect pass...
Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I am surfing around 10mph although it is somewhat of a guess because the speedo doesn't move much below 15mph. I was round 1900rpm with 2 passengers and 400lbs and the surf wake wasn't very surfable. I can't wait to add ballast! The wakeboarding wake is awesome though!

Attachment 101147

I have thought about getting a perfect pass setup, it seems like a great idea because I am constantly having to teach someone new how to pull a rider. How hard was the installation? I really like the throttle response/feel that it currently has but I definitely see the benefits of perfect pass...

Until you get that PP system going, I used to set my phone up on the steering hub of the wheel and used that. My analog mph gauge has never worked right. Still didn't help other people driving my boat though. PP solved that.

You will for sure need ballast to surf.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Quote:

Perfect Pass won't affect your throttle response/feel. It's just like cruise control in a car, just turn it on and set the speed when you need it or turn it off and manually control the throttle just like before (digital speedo still reads when the system is off as well). It's a lifesaver because the only thing the driver has to do is keep the boat straight now!

Installation was a breeze since the Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake Edition is GPS based, no paddle wheel thru-hull. It took less than 2 hours for me and a friend to install it in the boat.

Quote:
Until you get that PP system going, I used to set my phone up on the steering hub of the wheel and used that. My analog mph gauge has never worked right. Still didn't help other people driving my boat though. PP solved that.

You will for sure need ballast to surf.
That speedo in the boat will never read right, mine never did. I did the same thing Traxx did and downloaded a GPS speedometer app and used that to find the correct speed and then I just referenced the approximate RPM that I needed to hold the engine at to maintain that speed. I want to say that with my old prop (4x14x19) I was turning somewhere between 2800-3200RPM (depending on additional people, etc) on the analog tach when surfing. Perfect Pass is a lifesaver though!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Looks good. Get some Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store too. In a clear bottle yellow liquid inside. It might help those dark areas.

Also, I removed that center pylon. Not like you need it if you don't plan to slalom. And you can slalom from the tower. This really isn't the best slalom boat. Probably the worst thing it does, and was its original intention. How about that.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will pickup some of that cleaner and give it a shot! What did you use to cover the hole where the ski pylon was? I don't see anyone consistently skiing from the boat, and all I use it for is holding wet life jackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Perfect Pass won't affect your throttle response/feel. It's just like cruise control in a car, just turn it on and set the speed when you need it or turn it off and manually control the throttle just like before (digital speedo still reads when the system is off as well). It's a lifesaver because the only thing the driver has to do is keep the boat straight now!

Installation was a breeze since the Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake Edition is GPS based, no paddle wheel thru-hull. It took less than 2 hours for me and a friend to install it in the boat.

That speedo in the boat will never read right, mine never did. I did the same thing Traxx did and downloaded a GPS speedometer app and used that to find the correct speed and then I just referenced the approximate RPM that I needed to hold the engine at to maintain that speed. I want to say that with my old prop (4x14x19) I was turning somewhere between 2800-3200RPM (depending on additional people, etc) on the analog tach when surfing. Perfect Pass is a lifesaver though!
Good call on the cell phone GPS speedo, completely forgot about that! I believe that I have a 4x14x18 prop on it now and I am pretty happy with the performance but things could change when ballast is added. Where did you get your perfect pass? Thanks for the explanation on how it works, that cleared up a lot. I had a buddy on the boat with a GPS speedo app, we tested the accuracy and I found that my speedo can be somewhat accurate but only during cruise and sometimes it goes on the fritz...
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will pickup some of that cleaner and give it a shot! What did you use to cover the hole where the ski pylon was? I don't see anyone consistently skiing from the boat, and all I use it for is holding wet life jackets.

Good call on the cell phone GPS speedo, completely forgot about that! I believe that I have a 4x14x18 prop on it now and I am pretty happy with the performance but things could change when ballast is added. Where did you get your perfect pass? Thanks for the explanation on how it works, that cleared up a lot. I had a buddy on the boat with a GPS speedo app, we tested the accuracy and I found that my speedo can be somewhat accurate but only during cruise and sometimes it goes on the fritz...
I found a cover under the observer seat that screwed in place of that one. If bot you can sell the pylon for a pretty penny and by some fiberglass and carpet. You seem handy enough to handle that.

For my PPSG system I went direct to perfect pass. It's the cheapest and safest route.

I'll have to dig up what prop I have on. Can't remember the size. I love it. Dropped my surf rpms from 2700-2900 down to 2200-2400 and saves about a gallon an hour.

Fir surfing I'm burning 4.9 gallons an hour. On plane just cruising the river I'm running 3.6 gallons per hour. I also have a different engine and smaller boat.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:26 PM
MC Devotee

Oh, try searching an app called AA GPS HUD on Android. It does speed to the tenth of a mile and you can throw on your dash and it will project as heads up display. Kinda hard to see sometimes though so I always just let it rest in the steering hub of the wheel. On IPhone I can't help with an app.